Screwed up file system. Help! [solved]

tf1

Hi

I just put a second hard drive in my machine, that is not the problem.

I went into the disk partitioner and changed the labels to something that made them more recognizable. I shouldn't have done that!

On reboot i get.

fsck.ext3: Unable to resolve 'LABEL=160GB

fsck.ext3: Unable to resolve 'LABEL-80GB

***An error occurred during the file system check.

***Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot

***when you leave the shell.

Give root password for maintainance

(or typeControl-D to continue):

HELP!, what do i need to do to repair the file system?

I would really appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

Edited by tf1

OK, so first off, what was the 160GB being used for, and the 80GB? Is this one of the disks you just added, or what was there before?

If the / partition has mounted, then type your root password to continue, and then check /etc/fstab. Tell us which partition you changed the label for, eg: /dev/sda6, /dev/sda7, or whatever it was.

Hi Ian

the 160gb disc was my original disc with my main system on (2009). I set the lable "160gb". The 80gbdisc is the disc i added, again i labeled it "80gb. i don't care about the 80gb disc its the other one i need to recover. If i remove the 80gb disc, i get the same errors.

Thinking back it may have been the /home partition that i re-labeled!

If i type my root user password in and press enter, i get... (repair filesystem) 1 #

No idea what to do with that.

Suggest you get a live CD (Mandriva One or any other Linux Live CD) and boot from that. Mount the root partition on the 160Gb onto this (say on /mnt/160gb for clarity) and edit /mnt/160gb/etc/fstab to bring it in line with your partitioning scheme and/or labels. If you need more detail pls post back and we'll take it from there.

Then you can boot the Mandriva One into the GUI. When KDE, or Gnome, or whichever one you downloaded is running, you can use Nautilus to go into Computer, or the KDE equivalent, and then click to mount that partition. Then check the /etc/fstab from this partition - of course assuming that the one you clicked was / and then you can see what each of the labels were previously.

Right, Ian

I've got into the system /etc and found the fstab file, and also fstab.old

Is it just a case of editing the fstab to look like the fstab.old? or could i just rename fstab to something else, and rename fstab.old back to fstab.