9.2 late ?

GodFlesh

Guest joebanana

Mandrake linux 9.2 cds appear to be available for $8 USD (all 3 cds) at budgetlinuxcds.com. On the mandrake news release they said something about them tweaking it before it is available for download to the public... I am a little confused here, is the 9.2 ISO actually finalized?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next ISOs of Mandrake 9.2 Download Edition will be available for Club Members and all people who have contributed to the new version (including developers and translators), prior to retail packs and public download release.

This new policy was strongly suggested by Club Members for a long time. It is now possible to offer this opportunity with the new BitTorrent technology.

Mandrake 9.2 ISO images will be released in advance to Mandrake Club users, hopefully before October 15th, when all last tests will have been achieved.

Thanks to all people who made possible this new promising release of Mandrake Linux.

MandrakeSoft Team.

taken from cooker mailing list

Two weeks ago, I had a private discussion with Jacques Le Marois about this.

It is necessary to encourage people who are participating. The club is an easy 

way to participate giving an important source of income.

It is important to improve the advantages for the members of the club.

The download edition will be availaible for anybody when the boxes will be 

available. 

It is sure that some "piracy" will appear. But don't care... This can give a 

taste of the forbidden fruit ! and give newcomers;-)

I absolutely agree. It's not like they are requiring you to pay for it to get it ever, you just need to wait a while. The Club members and contributers deserve this sort of thing. Anyone who complains should put theirselves in the shoes of a Club member.

Just my other $0.01 Canadian (now my total is roughly equivalent to $0.02 U.S.).

Hell Ive been saying they need to do something to encourage people to buy or join the club.

This seems a reasonable compromse....

I did have club membership but I let it lapse becuase it seemed to offer no advantages....certainlly not support... thats how I found mandrakeusers.org.

Of course a good comprimise means no-ones happy but you can't please all the people all the time....

Overall I think it will improve stabilty too. The first downloads are always so buggy they generate more support questions ... and no one knows the answers. Now for 9.1 we have a set of FAQ's which cover the recurring topics....

Did you do the update.... did you update RPMDRAKE ???

But when it was new and shiny everyone was fishing around for answers.

Mandrake can't give you an online test ... 'Are you fit to download our buggy release' : Im sure this would generate even more negative response... so although lots of experienced people won't get the ISO's for a couple of extra weeks it also prevents the noobies downloading it and mixing trivial problems with real bugs....

Besides... a REAL expert would be able to upgrade without the ISO's....

Another aspect it is allows Mandrake to clear the products off the shelves.... Im a bit mixed on this. I feel anyone buying 9.1 NOW should get a free upgrade to 9.2 but perhaps im splitting hairs.

Lets face it if you can only buy 9.1 in a store or your other choice is download 9.2 for FREE what do you do???

I hope they will give some credit to people buying the store editions.... its a perfectly valid business model. They stress the 'community' aspect but to be honest (IMHO) I don't think they have the same level as say Debian.

I still maintain they need to give a nominal club credit to those buying off-the-shelf Boxsets and shift away from being a 'broadband only' distro.

Unless they can develop the community of Debian and they want to forget being a business (which is their decision) expecting people to do 400MB of downloads for the fixes is unreasonable.

Lots of people can't get broadband...some don't want it (weird) so this cuts off a large userbase from Mandrake. Just becuase M$ do it with the service patches doesn't make it RIGHT!

Just my 2 euro' cents....

Whats typically MDK stupidity is, they want club members to have the ISOs via Bittorrent, which is a new technology, few people have installed it, and I see on the MDK club forums there are loads of people complaining already that they can't install it properly or they don't know how to use it. :roll: :roll:

Whats typically MDK stupidity is, they want club members to have the ISOs via Bittorrent, which is a new technology, few people have installed it, and I see on the MDK club forums there are loads of people complaining already that they can't install it properly or they don't know how to use it. :roll:  :roll:

Thats IT: The are you fit to test the buggy new version filter.

If you can work out BitTorrent you probably are :wink:

What's hard about BitTorrent? It's actually a great program, and works nicely, and fairly, if people seed.

Sorry? explain the last bit.....

It's the way BitTorrent works. You run bittorrent on a .torrent file, and it'll download whatever it is that you wanted to download from other bittorrent users. If you want to contribute back, simply leave your bittorrent open once you're done downloading. This is called "seeding." If no one seeds, you probably won't get the whole file, and you'll have to request a reseed. The best place for .torrents is suprnova.org, imho.

If you want to contribute back, simply leave your bittorrent open once you're done downloading. This is called "seeding." If no one seeds, you probably won't get the whole file, and you'll have to request a reseed.

would you mind explaining this further scape? i know i should start reading the docs but may not have the time ot squeeze it in with the docs im *supposed* to read. :)

doesn't bittorrent work something like the p2p software, wherein you download distributedly from mulitple servers/users? my understanding of the last statement above is that you can still get the file if at least one server still shares the file. but how do you request a reseed when you cant find a source server? this still means that you continue downloading where bittorrent last stopped, doesnt it?

ciao!