9.2 late ?

GodFlesh

Look its not too bad.

In one way its very positive that they aren't filling shelves until its tested a bit more.

People like us don't actually NEED the ISO's.... not really... we can patch by URPMI ....

Exactly what is iot your missing rcxau ????

No seriously, stop and think....

You can upgrade any parts you want from the contrib's... You don't need to REINSTALL not upgrade and when its mature/tested etc. you can get a final copy with the bug fixes!!!

If your desperate youll get it :D but this gives you a chance to work out other than the 9.1-9.2 name change WHY

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look its not too bad.

In one way its very positive that they aren't filling shelves until its tested a bit more.  

People like us don't actually NEED the ISO's.... not really... we can patch by URPMI  ....

Exactly what is iot your missing rcxau ????

No seriously, stop and think....

You can upgrade any parts you want from the contrib's... You don't need to REINSTALL not upgrade and when its mature/tested etc. you can get a final copy with the bug fixes!!!

If your desperate youll get it :D but this gives you a chance to work out other than the 9.1-9.2 name change WHY

Yes true, i can URPMI. ANd I am using debian now anyway.

But i prefer the CD, good to have around, in case things screw up, i don't have mandy installed currently, but when i do install it, id rather download it once, not everytime i install. I dont have unlimited download and dad would kill me if i use too much. I use most of my 3gb anyway.

I was also hoping to install 9.2 on a friends compy. Now he's gonna have to wait or put 9.1 on. He has dial up.

But you are right about the bugs. But isn't the RCs for that, ironing out last bugs.

Anyway, i just dont like the attitude of mandy releasing it to club first.

My $0.02

James

From the cooker mailing list:

Subject: [Cooker] 9.2 ISOs has been sent  

Date: 24 Sep 2003 10:36:12 -0000  

Which means that if no major critical bugs are found in the next few

days, it will be considered as final.

Thanks to all who have participated in 9.21, the mandrake linux

distribution is becoming more and more a community project, and I am

really happy with that.

When we will be sure these ISOs are really final, that is to say by

the end of next week, club members and contributors should have

exclusive access to the download edition ISOs.

For others ISOs will be freely available worldwide by the end of october.

--  

Warly

http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/cooker/2003-09/

Alright! GGo Maandrake. It's about time those guys thought of themselves a little bit. I'm not a club member but at least now i have some incentive to join. Altough i was going to join and buy the powerpack anyways

Anyway, i just dont like the attitude of mandy releasing it to club first.

My $0.02

James

I don't really see what the problem with that. If you're a Club Member then no problems. If you just download it for free, well, Mandrake has to make money somehow right? It seems to be putting a lot of emphasis on the Club so they have to give people some incentive to join. Actually if you look at it, Mandrake is one of the increasingly few commercial distros that still allow free ISOs for people. And if you buy the Powerpack - actually with Mandrake's very bad delivery services (I've been bitten myself with this) you might have something to complain about. You pay to support Mandrake AND it's late. Maybe they've improved...

Thats just it....

Personally nothing is so pressing for an upgrade that I can't wait till it hits the stores... that way I can get the physical CD's (or hopefully DVD :D)

I feel safer with the Cd/DVD and I understand rxcau's concerns BUT theres nothing stopping him from actually paying for it!

However..... I do feel if he earns some money and cleans some cars or whatever he has time to do whilst being busy with his studies that he has a right to the 'product' being stable and having the patches.

If Mandy do release this and keep the patches up to date for the boxsets I think everyone gains except a few powerusers.

They have two options though.....

They can upgrade things for free and put some time and effort in or pay-up.

All of this presumes that Mandy actually use the revenue to actually make the product more stable and better on all hardware.

For that I guess we have to wait and SEE.

Le Mercredi 24 Septembre 2003 12:54, Adam Williamson a écrit :

Two weeks ago, I had a private discussion with Jacques Le Marois about this.

It is necessary to encourage people who are participating. The club is an easy  

way to participate giving an important source of income.

It is important to improve the advantages for the members of the club.

The download edition will be availaible for anybody when the boxes will be  

available.

It is sure that some "piracy" will appear. But don't care... This can give a  

taste of the forbidden fruit !

Im a member of MDK club. Im also very forgetful, i never remember whether im d-loading stuff to my computer or logged into the server where our d-load site is and getting stuff put on there. I wouldn't be at all surprised if being the idiot i am, i put the ISOs on the server by mistake............... :roll:

on the club site is says that we'll (clubmembers) have it by Oct. 15th. and the rest of the "community" a few weeks after that.

Aren't we all part of the community here, and dont we all make contributions of at the very least support? Oh well even if I don't get it til the end of October, its ok cause its probably for the better for Mandrake that they do it this way, at least they're not going libranet style... ;)