PCLinuxOS 2009.1 Final Released

tux99

Quoting from the PCLinuxOS announcement:

"This release features kernel 2.6.26.8.tex3, KDE 3.5.10, Open Office 3.0, Firefox 3.0.7, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, Ktorrent, Frostwire, Amarok, Flash, Java JRE, Compiz-Fusion 3D and much more.

We decided to use kde3-5-10 as our default desktop as we could not achieve a similar functionality from kde4. Almost 2.5 gigs of software compressed on a single self bootable livecd that can be installed to your hard drive provided it is compatible with your system and you like the distribution. Over 8000+ additional packages available after hard drive install through the Synaptic Software Manager."

I was hoping to see something that would set it apart from 2007. :huh: Don't get me wrong, they've done a good job as in it's still a rock solid distro. However everything about the desktop (except the default wallpaper) has the look and feel of 2007.

I have never tried PCLinuxOS before this release, so I can't tell, but IMHO the most important thing for a distro is to be rock solid, with a well tuned functional default configuration and a good package manager and choice of packages, with sensible dependencies.

The eye candy is just that, eye candy, and TBH I'm not that keen on having to get used to a new look on my desktop every 6-12 months or so (a computer is not women fashion!), it's not good for productivity.

It's a good distro, nice looking, quite solid, but it does have a limited package base, compiling stuff on it is a royal pain, and it's not so "rolling" as it seems at first sight.

My daughter (she will be fourteen tomorrow) was using it for more than one year, but broke it irreparably doing a dist- upgrade, some six months ago. At least I was unable to do anything out of the mess the dist-upgrade created, as nothing was working.

I helped her a bit doing the initial configuration in ArchLinux (with KDEMod 3) and when she got a rough idea about the basic administration commands in console, she didn't look back.

Edited by scarecrow

To be fair scarecrow, you are somewhat of an ArchLinux 'Guru'. Having that kind of resource on tap almost certainly eased your daughters transition. She could just as easily have reinstalled and been back up and running in no time.

I installed it yesterday to replace Opensuse which I don't like much. I need a KDE based distro as they seem to be the only ones that the BBC IPlayer download service will work with. It works with Opensuse and Pclinux but won't work on any of my Xfce/Gnome based distros.

It has two very major advantages over Suse, the first is that they have made the decision to stick with KDE 3.5.10 as the default DE instead of going with KDE4. I haven't set up a KDE3 distro for a while now (my Suse desktop was KDE4.2). It hits you straight away how wonderful it is compared to that dreadful 4 thing. Everything works, is easy to set up, easy to use, fully functional and looks good. In other words the diametric opposite of KDE4.

The other advantage of the distro for me is that they use Synaptic as a package manager. Yast as a whole is pretty good, but the package manager part of it is terrible, Synaptic is superior in every respect, also incidentally superior to rpmdrake (speed). They are using a slightly out of date version but even with that it is a joy to use again, same goes for KDE3.

Edited by viking777

Currently, one can have a fully functional and maintained KDE3 using four different distros: Archlinux with the (unofficial) kdemod-legacy packages, Sidux, PCLinuxOS and Mepis.

Choice is a matter of taste: Archlinux is the least noob friendly, but also the simplest and most up-to-date, Sidux is cutting edge Debian with a few user conveniences, PCLOS a Mandriva clone with emphasis to KDE3 and non-gpl packages, and Mepis a Debian testing with emphasis on ease of use.

Personally, I would bite the bullet and move on to KDE 4.2.1. It's far from perfect yet, but at least it's usable, relatively stable, and it does have a huge potential. My guess is that after the release of KDE 4.3 this summer, nobody will really bother about KDE3.

Personally, I would bite the bullet and move on to KDE 4.2.1. It's far from perfect yet, but at least it's usable, relatively stable, and it does have a huge potential. My guess is that after the release of KDE 4.3 this summer, nobody will really bother about KDE3.

I agree with viking777, the problem with KDE 4.x is not so much the missing bits (which will eventually disappear) but the fact that they have made it very unintuitive and frustrating to use, it's not even in it self logical, it uses different ways to do the same things in different places, in other words, IMHO it's a usability nightmare.

Yes I know it's possible to get used to everything, but I refuse to try to get used to an irrational desktop evironment, a desktop environment is supposed to help you make efficient use of your computer, ideally a perfect desktop environment should not require any time to be accustomed to by being completly logical and intuitive, not force you to almost do a training course for it's usage first.

I think the KDE4.x developers got off the right track with KDE4.x creating a self-celebrating desktop, with the idea in mind that the user should spend more time playing around with the desktop environment than actually using real programs.

Edited by tux99

I agree with viking777, the problem with KDE 4.x is not so much the missing bits (which will eventually disappear) but the fact that they have made it very unintuitive and frustrating to use, it's not even in it self logical, it uses different ways to do the same things in different places, in other words, IMHO it's a usability nightmare.
First it was bashing KDE4's stability. Now that is more or less resolved, it's switched to bashing KDE4's functionality. When that eventually gets resolved what will be next in line for a bashing..?
Yes I know it's possible to get used to everything, but I refuse to try to get used to an irrational desktop evironment, a desktop environment is supposed to help you make efficient use of your computer, ideally a perfect desktop environment should not require any time to be accustomed to by being completly logical and intuitive, not force you to almost do a training course for it's usage first.
Maybe it's your 'refusal' to get used to a new way of working that makes it all seem so irrational.
I think the KDE4.x developers got off the right track with KDE4.x creating a self-celebrating desktop, with the idea in mind that the user should spend more time playing around with the desktop environment than actually using real programs.
Speculation at best. No matter which way they turn, they will never please everyone.

First it was bashing KDE4's stability. Now that is more or less resolved, it's switched to bashing KDE4's functionality. When that eventually gets resolved what will be next in line for a bashing..?Maybe it's your 'refusal' to get used to a new way of working that makes it all seem so irrational.Speculation at best. No matter which way they turn, they will never please everyone.

While this is getting a bit off topic in this thread, I'm speaking for myself and that's my opinion, I haven't bashed stability (as I never used the early versions of KDE4) or anything else, it's not about bashing, it's my opinion based on my experience with it so far (certainly NOT speculation!).

If the KDE developers (or any developers) don't like criticism then they shouldn't publish their code, they are free to ignore my (and that of many other formerly happy KDE 3.x users) criticism, but then they shouldn't be surprised if they loose users.

And explain me one thing, why should I spend considerable effort in getting used to a 'new way' of doing things if the 'new way' is actually by far not as good as the 'old way' (there needs to be a benefit that is worth the effort!)?

It's for similar reasons that Vista is turning out to be a failure...

Edited by tux99

I disagree. Vista is a failure because it's effectively XP, albeit less stable and way more resources hungry, while the new things it has to offer are just dubious eyecandy and DRM nonsensical limitations.

KDE4 has a hell of a lot in innovative features. It certainly takes some time to get used to them (personally, I still have a hard time to get used to the idea I do not have icons on my desktop anymore... I resolved it by voluntarily using openbox without pcmanfm and idesk for a few days... P ), but this will eventually happen.

Edited by scarecrow