lilo and bootdisk question

McKinney83

i have mdk 9.1 set up to boot on a floppy (lilo), and seeing as i am new to linux, i would really like to have my computer boot right into windows, unless the floppy is in the drive.

instead, if i dont put the bootdisk in the drive, it hangs, and just keeps repeating "99 99 99 99"

is there anyway to have it boot into xp unless i put the bootdisk in, then it could load lilo.

thanks for your help

Yeah, post your lilo.conf file, although editing it isn't difficult. What you basically want to do is set Windows as your default on the lilo menu and make it auto-load after a given time. That way, if you turn on your computer and leave it, it will automatically boot into windows, unless you interrupt it and select Linux from the lilo menu.

Doing it via a floppy is convoluted.

No need to re-install. All you have to do is change your lilo settings. I am, once again, not at my box right now - but all you have to do is understand the basics and then man lilo and lilo.conf.

The lilo.conf file contains various settings and a list of boot partitions. So all you have to do is set this list up the way you like. So you tell it, this is my Linux boot partition and I would like you to call it 'Linux' and the same for Windows.

Lilo builds its menu from this list. In the settings, you specify one option as a default, lilo will put you into this one then, unless you interrupt it.

Open up your lilo.conf file in a text editor, it is really quite self explanatory. Remember that after you edit the lilo.conf file, you must run lilo, so it can update itself

# lilo -v

I'm sorry I can't give you exact answers, but I am currently sitting in front of a windows box at work.

is there a way to get it on the h.d ?

Go to the Mandrake Control Center>Boot>DrakBoot>Configure and choose to use either lilo or grub......it'll do the rest...hopefully :wink:

If you haven't already I'd suggest running Mandrake Update and getting all the drak stuff updated first (drakconf, draktools etc....).