How to upgrade to MDK 9.2 without re-installing!

jlc

WARNING: This will be using Cooker RPM's so if you break your system, don't blame ME! :lol:

This is a guide taken from Distrowatch.com, all content bellow was taken directly from there site.

http://www.distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20030922

Since a new Mandrake release should be out any time

now, I decided to see how easy it is to upgrade --

without re-installation -- a vanilla Mandrake 9.1

release to version 9.2 (or more precisely, to the

current "Cooker" version). At the time of writing,

Mandrake Cooker is probably very close to what

Mandrake 9.2 will look like, sans some last minute bug

fixes. I followed these two documents to help me with

the upgrade: Cooker HOWTO and How to upgrade Mandrake

easily with only one reboot, but to sum it all up:

after updating the urpmi source to point to the

nearest mirror containing the "cooker" directory, only

three commands were needed to upgrade the entire

distribution:

urpmi.update -a

urpmi --auto-select --no-verify-rpm --auto

urpmi kernel

The process took several hours, but it did eventually complete without a hitch. The upgrade process with urpmi was a surprisingly positive experience, similar to upgrading Debian. Upon reboot, I found myself in a brand new Mandrake Linux 9.2 (almost final). As soon as the final version is released, I will simply update my urpmi sources to point to the 9.2 directory (instead of the "cooker" directory) and run the above three commands again. This will bring my Mandrake system up to 9.2 final, without going through the re-install process with a new set of ISO images. It seems that Mandrake developers have done an excellent job with their urpmi utility and the hard work of splitting the binary packages into core packages and libraries has paid off.

http://cybercfo.gkmweb.com/CookerHOWTO.html

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?n...rticle&sid=7018

Kinda what I was planning except I was doing source RPM's and optimising for athalon :D, at least for stuff likely to benefit.

I always needa kernel compile anyway becuase of the 1GB mem and now, the nforce chipset and the wifi.

Whilst your doing it the MM options mightest well be thrown in....

This might be a nice start...

Get it all working then slowly just recompile the source RPM's in ordeerof preference! :D :D

Thanks for this tip. I just did the 'upgrade' (excluding the kernel...not ready to reboot yet). Everything seems fine so far except for I have run into a glitch in mine. I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but I use IceWM and apparently the Cooker version is severely broken. I started IceWM and nothing responded in it. The monitors for CPU and net on the taskbar were frozen. and clicking the mouse anywhere got me nothing. I did Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and I'm taken back to the vt where all I see is the line

icewm-session pid <whatever>

scrolling over and over and only Ctrl-D could stop it (well, it didn't really stop the process, but the message). I relogged back in removed the cooker source and urpme'd the the cooker IceWM and reinstalled the stock IceWM and all is well (well, except for the fact that my first two attempts at starting the cooker IceWM were still running, each eating up 49% CPU. I killed one and the still-running one began eating 99%. Anyway, this post is not meant to be a cry for help, but only a warning.

I posted this in the "9.2 late" topic a couple days ago. Read all those instructions.

A few extra thoughts, now that my third attempt to do this seems to be stable >< fingers crossed! (thanks to partimage for getting me back to stable 9.1 in 15 minutes when it died) :idea:

:arrow: (leave quotes out of all commands below)

1 add your cooker media to urpmi either command line or mcc

2 run "urpmi.update -a"

3 run "urpmi urpmi" and say yes to all dependencies. When it does the install on its own with --auto-select, you end up with an old urpmi and grpmi that will not run! and you cannot upgrade ANYTHING after that.

4 run "urpmi --auto-select -no-verify-rpm --force --auto" The --force option will allow overwrite of some newer rpms, especially if you have Texstar stuff installed.

5 run "rpm -qa | grep tex" to find out what texstar rpms did not upgrade, use rpm -e or urpme to remove them and all dependencies that scream :wink:

6 reinstall all the kde etc. modules that you removed the -tex modules above.

7 run "rpm -Va | grep missing" to see if any modules are missing or hosed. I found that "urpmf modulename.o" will tell you the package you need. Use "rpm -i --force" to install it.

8 run "urpmi kernel"

9 change your Xf86Conf-4 and/or modules.conf or whatever if you have custom video drivers that won't like the changed kernel

10 reboot that baby, pray like hell as you get a beer, whoop if it comes up, cuss if it doesn't, drink that beer either way!

Tim

Yes !

Worked perfectly well for me (so far: I'm 9.2 since 15mn)

Seems nice, boot really fast, Mozilla is faster .. :-)

Now lets destroy it testing DiskDrake  :mrgreen: 

roland

I would *really* encourage you to run my steps # 5 - 7 above! There seems to be a real issue of missing libraries with this kind of massive upgrade to a new version with urpmi; eventually it causes a massive lockup that will not be repaired by reboot.

I recommend booting into failsafe mode and using two or three logons to accomplish these steps. My first two urpmi upgrades failed - one in two days, the other in 5 hours.

Tim

I would *really* encourage you to run my steps # 5 - 7 above!  There seems to be a real issue of missing libraries with this kind of massive upgrade to a new version with urpmi; eventually it causes a massive lockup that will not be repaired by reboot.  

I recommend booting into failsafe mode and using two or three logons to accomplish these steps.  My first two urpmi upgrades failed - one in two days, the other in 5 hours.

Tim

hey it's as if you think I had problems. No it worked perfectly. As you suggest I ran urpmi urpmi first.

I had to do

urpmi --auto-select -no-verify-rpm --force --auto

two time: the first time KDE didn't want to install.

Everything done on around 4 hours.:-)

roland

Guest kuchwas

I would *really* encourage you to run my steps # 5 - 7 above!

Tim

hey it's as if you think I had problems. No it worked perfectly. As you suggest I ran urpmi urpmi first.

I had to do

urpmi --auto-select -no-verify-rpm --force --auto

two time: the first time KDE didn't want to install.

Everything done on around 4 hours.:-)

roland

Humor me! :lol:

Run "rpm -Va | grep missing" in a terminal land let me know if you get any results, especially any missing libraries. If you get no results, I'll be surprised; if you get results, you'll be surprised.

I'm still getting missing libraries from libxfree86, xfree86-server, and libMesaGU1, when I add or remove packages - I just cannot find the pattern!

I get some things from mozilla, j2re, and Xfree86 that are not important.

Tim

One thing I'm wondering, is why do we have to do:

--no-verify-rpm

even after importing the gpg key from the source we use? I tried doing it without it (even after importing the GPG-KEYS-BLAH file) and it died on the first rpm saying 'invalid signature'.