Opening a shell to samba drive

Recently I had the problem where I wanted the directory listing of a directory on a remote windows machine. This was shared over the network, and in Konqueror it was very easy to go to the network, browse to the machine, open the shared folder and see the files. But I couldn't find a way of doing a "ls > filelist.txt" on this folder. The URL in Konqueror was something like "smb://name-abcdxyz/blah" which obviously isn't in the file system so I can't cd to it. And I couldn't see an obvious option in Konqueror to "open command shell here" for example. And nor could I show the contents in Konqueror in such a way that I could then copy the filenames...

So I thought I'd need to mount it to use the console there, but when I tried to "add directory" it asked for the IP address and share name of the folder, instead of just showing me what it had just found... and I couldn't remember the IP address and couldn't see an obvious way to find it out so got frustrated.

In the end I copied the contents of the directory (sadly a few hundred MB) to a local directory, did an ls there and then deleted the local copy again - but I can't help thinking there was an easier solution somewhere... anyone know what it was? :unsure:

I'm not sure about the add directory thing you said, but this is how I normally mount from cli for smb share:

mount -t cifs //machine_name/share_name /mnt/mysmbshare

replacing the relevant details with machine_name or ip address and share name where appropriate. I never had it say anything about add directory, so no idea where that came from when you said you did that from command line.

If you had the share mounted in konqueror, you could have checked netstat results to see what IP you were connected to using the usual 135, 139, 445 ports as filters for the smb connection to see where you were connected to.