KDE4.2.1 available with Qt4.5 final for 2009.0

ffi

Mandriva 2009.0 KDE 4.2.1 packages available - With Qt 4.5.0 final!

Submitted by heliocastro on Thu, 03/05/2009 - 00:17 

Arrived the time of year of doing another test upgrade for Mandriva users. This time is a little bit special, since you will be using Qt 4.5.0 final, with all our efforts to make it stable with backports, annoying some KDE devels ( thanks dfaure and Thiago ), etc. Standard urpmi repositories are available. README for some detailed information.

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3909

These are repositories for Mandriva 2009 Official

for x86_32

urpmi.addmedia kde42-20090 <kde-mirror>/stable/4.2.1/Mandriva/2009.0/RPMS/i586

for x86_64:

urpmi.addmedia kde42-20090 <kde-mirror>/stable/4.2.1/Mandriva/2009.0/RPMS/x86_64

Add all

urpmi.addmedia kde42-20090-noarch <kde-mirror>/stable/4.2.1/Mandriva/2009.0/RPMS/noarch

For kde-mirror find servers here

http://www.kde.org/mirrors/ftp.php

example

urpmi.addmedia kde42-20090-noarch http://ftp.kde.org/stable/4.2.1/Mandriva/2009.0/RPMS/noarch

.....Lex

[Lexicon, I've merged your post with this topic. - Greg2]

Edited by Lexicon

I'm up and running w/KDE 4.2.1. After upgrading, I had a blank screen because of a missing file. I logged out (crtl + alt + del), logged into another desktop, and downloaded mandriva-kde-translation-2009.1-0.1mdv2009.0.noarch.rpm (the missing file). After that, MCC updated more files. Now I'm up and running. It took only a few minutes.

No idea how good/bad are the Mandriva packages, but I've just installed KDE 4.2.1 from the kdemod repos for Archlinux, using qt 4.5 (plus the newest xorg binaries 1.6.0), and I'm really shocked:

It just WORKS- no plasma crashes, no aiglx issues, no nothing....

Is it for real? Maybe not... but it is the VERY first time I have a stable and fully working KDE4 desktop handy...

No idea how good/bad are the Mandriva packages, but I've just installed KDE 4.2.1 from the kdemod repos for Archlinux, using qt 4.5 (plus the newest xorg binaries 1.6.0), and I'm really shocked:

It just WORKS- no plasma crashes, no aiglx issues, no nothing....

Is it for real? Maybe not... but it is the VERY first time I have a stable and fully working KDE4 desktop handy...

better than the arch packages I would guess as kde4 has been pretty stable here on mdv, featureless and sometimes awkward, but stable :P

Scarecrow, using Qt 4.5 how does the RAM usage compare to KDE3?

I am on cooker and there is no kde3 anymore so, can't compare but clean user default settings x86_64, 4GB kde4.2 vs xfce4.6: 350MB vs 300MB

but kde4 starts up with a lot more programs by default and has to load gtk libraries to for net_applet and mdkonline, with a little bit of tweaking they are very much comparable

In my system, and according to ksysguard, it eats some 410 MB alone. XFCE4 eats about half.

Not having KDE3 installed right now, but at my daughters laptop (which is currently running Archlinux and Kdemod-legacy (AKA KDE 3.5.10) RAM usage is approx. 330 MB- which is quite lower. But I wouldn't use this as a measure- different hardware, different systems, different figures.

Edited by scarecrow

The KDE 4.2.1 installation lasts. About 350 Mb but I chose QT 4, we will see what will result from it. 367 positions on MDV-ONE .... Lex

-------------------------------------------------

On end find command use "urpme --auto-ophans"

By my KDE 4.2.1, but I have only English version 3.5.10. Don't use "urpme --auto-ophans"

Edited by Lexicon

The words 'enjoy' and 'KDE4' don't belong in the same sentence unless you are a masochist :D

I have 4.2 running on Suse 11.1 and it is even worse than 4.1 and I didn't think that was possible. My opinion is that the KDE team have sacked all the developers that worked on the wonderful 3.5.10 and replaced them with redundant corporate bankers because they are cheaper to employ.

Thank the Lord for Xfce.

I have KDE4.2.1. Not applied

urpme - -auto-ofans.

The work shall also Xfce-One. KDE 3.5.10 has been several times faster. Now I have to choose the color .... Lex