WLAN Card WLG-1203

johnd

Hi

I am using a WLG-1203 wireless card (Cameo) with NDISWrapper and mrv800c.inf on Mandriva 2009.

I installed the card and set it up - all was great! Downloaded updates from the web and shut down.

Drove 160km to install the PC for my daughter - do you think I could get it going again. WHen I started the PC, the settings had gone. I tried to reinstall the WIndows driver and it kept locking up the Control Centre networking tool. Re-seated the PCI card - no change.

Despite NDISWrapper being installed (I double checked) I am getting a message like "Unable to find the NDISWrapper interface".

I am not an expert on blacklisting (is this the issue)? I tried blackisting (is it tg3?) in /etc/modules.d/blacklist.mdv (or similar - I am not in front of a Linux PC at the moment) with only slight improvements to the locking up situation - but no working WLAN card.

It was going so it must be possible to get it going again! I am hoping to coach my daughter long distance to do this.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

John

[moved from Tips and Tricks by Greg2]

Further to the above - I have determined on an identical system that the above mentioned WLAN card works with a supplied driver natively in Linux. At one stage I did try this on the problem system with no success.

So any ideas on how to get the system to recognize the native driver - better than using NDSIWrapper presumably.

Yep, it does sound like a Marvel chipset, so you do have to use ndiswrapper.

There is probably a (wrong) native driver which is loaded by the system at bootup, and which locks ndiswrapper. It has to be blacklisted.

Do what Greg2 suggested, and then an lsmod.

Edited by scarecrow

Yes - the MS Windows driver is mrv8000c.inf (Cameo).

However on the work identical PC I got it going with 88w8335[Libertas] with no NDISWrapper installed (straight out of the box).

This came up as an option alongside Windows driver.

This option will not come up on my daughter's PC.

Are you talking about the same card? If it is the same product, but not the same card, there may be a simple explanation.

Card manufacturers sometimes package different chipsets under the same product name, but give it a different version. It is not uncommon that version 1.1 of product X works with native Linux drivers, and version 1.2 is just waste of money, even though the cards appear to be identical.

The output was:

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 01)

04:02.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless (rev 03)

John

Yes, there is a native driver, namely mrv8k. However it's almost totally broken, so I find it surprising that it works on your daughter's PC.

IMHO the most secure shot is blacklisting the erratic "mrv8k" module and then using ndiswrapper.

Checkout these instructions- they are made with Ubuntu in mind, but they apply for other distros as well.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/mrv8k