Need Help Badly

dinsmorem

As suggested options can be passed to the snd_hda_intel module. Thought a list of them all might come in handy.

Add a line like:

options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba <-- your correct model goes here :)

to your /etc/modprobe.conf file.

okay....you say put in my correct model. do i keep the word toshiba there or not? also where do i place the line....at the bottom of the existing lines? sorry to be a pest but this is all new to me. thank you

Yes, you put Toshiba there, or it can also be another setting, as I found with my Toshiba Core Duo a while back. This can also depend on what is being recognised by system, you can also do for example:

cat /var/log/dmesg | grep -i alc

and find out what ALC model you have.

I remembered a similar problem with a Tecra A8 I had, and I had to put this:

options snd-hda-intel enable=1 index=0 model=basic

before it would work.

okay....you say put in my correct model. do i keep the word toshiba there or not? also where do i place the line....at the bottom of the existing lines? sorry to be a pest but this is all new to me. thank you

You can try toshiba (picked that one because it looked promising), reboot and see if it works. If not, try another one. Just put it on a new line at the bottom of modprobe.conf. You'll need to be root to edit that file.

I can't find a "modprobe.conf" file. I click "root" then "etc" then there is "modprobed" or "modprobe.preload.d" and thats my choices. thank you

You can try toshiba (picked that one because it looked promising), reboot and see if it works. If not, try another one. Just put it on a new line at the bottom of modprobe.conf. You'll need to be root to edit that file.

I can't find a "modprobe.conf" file. I click "root" then "etc" then there is "modprobed" or "modprobe.preload.d" and thats my choices. thank you

Look further down. You are looking for a file not a directory. The directories are listed first and then the files.