XFCE 4.6

dexter11

A does not have to upgrade to Mandriva 2009? ....Lex

It is already in /cooker/contrib so I guess it will be present in 2009.1

I don't think it will be backported to 2009.0 though.

And you'd rather backup and wipe your former 4.4.3 settings to get 4.6.0 working properly- many things have changed.

It doesn't install though I just tried it and it fails (usual thing, missing dependency but I can't remember what it was). I'll leave it a day or so, it will probably come right.

I didn't even have to wait that long, it installed properly this evening.

I don't see a lot to get excited about though, correction, I don't see anything to get excited about. 2 years of development and they can't even manage to get an 'always on top' button to go on the window border!!

It must be me, virtually every 'improvement' I read about is of no consequence to me whatsoever. I sometimes wonder if I am on the same planet as everyone else : :unsure:

it has been there for ages, you just need to add it, you can do it from the window manager settings

edit: although it doesn't seem to work...

Screenshot-1.png

There is a screenshot of Xfce 4.6 window manager settings. Please tell me how to add an 'always on top' button from there. If I am in the wrong screen then could you possibly direct me to the correct one.

Ta very much

viking777

There is no such button in xfwm... don't bother.

But- even if I fail to understand why such a button is a must, you can use XFCE4 using either compiz or Openbox as window manager (probably other WM's as well).

Most of the time I use it with compiz, and a simple+elegant theme. It may not be the perfect DE, but ATM there's nothing better than that (probably KDE 3.5.10, but since it's obsolete we'd rather try something else instead).

hot of Xfce 4.6 window manager settings. Please tell me how to add an 'always on top' button from there. If I am in the wrong screen then could you possibly direct me to the correct one.

Ta very much

viking777

sorry my mistake, I thought stick would do it but apperently it does something else. It is in the window menu though

There is no such button in xfwm... don't bother.

But- even if I fail to understand why such a button is a must, you can use XFCE4 using either compiz or Openbox as window manager (probably other WM's as well).

Most of the time I use it with compiz, and a simple+elegant theme. It may not be the perfect DE, but ATM there's nothing better than that (probably KDE 3.5.10, but since it's obsolete we'd rather try something else instead).

now if xfce had their onw (usable) fileselector instead of the default (unusable) gtk one...

and actually I like xfwm4, it is quite efficient resourcewise and has many features such as compositing which just work unlike compiz or kwin sometimes

Edited by ffi

which program is this in the screenshot, is it the xfce installer?

Yes, xfce-goodies-4.6-installer.run. Before I install all library from how-to / Preparations

file:///home/lex/Pobrane/xfce-4.6.0/Instalation.html , ouuuu

Installing Xfce

Benedikt Meurer

....lex