Mandriva 2009 Spring postponed

dexter11

Generally, I do believe in the well-known motto "it will be out when it's ready".

However, this rarely is the standard policy of a major distro, and the net result, most of the times, are buggy "final" releases.

So, in the aforementioned case, I can only applause Mandriva's decision- guessing that this has happened because some things are not ready for release yet (I can guess a few: xorg 1.5.X, the current strange behaviour of the newest HAL releases, and the beta status of KDE 4.2.0- and I can probably add a few more).

It always mystifies me why so many distro makers put themselves through this self imposed deadline hell - because the others do it is the nearest explanation I can come up with. I am sure their commercial customers don't want this, they will nearly always buy LTS versions anyway, and as for simple users like myself well I would far rather wait 9 months for a distro that is fully working than have a half working one in 6 months.

Mind you if they are waiting for KDE4 to come right they will wait forever.

Mind you if they are waiting for KDE4 to come right they will wait forever.

Now, THAT is what I call pessimism.

KDE 4.2 is quite good at heart, and the only reason I do not use it is stability issues with the propreietary nvidia driver, when compositing is enabled. Quite unfortunately both my dekstop PC and my subnotebook are using nvidia GPU's, and I don't want to crpipple them just for using KDE 4.2.

On another laptop with an Intel GPU, it is working without any major issue- just a few nuts and bolts missing.

I do believe that KDE 4.3 this summer will be a major hit, as well as the first truly "stable" KDE4 release.

PS: sorry for going out of topic....

Edited by scarecrow

...Quite unfortunately both my dekstop PC and my subnotebook are using nvidia GPU's, and I don't want to crpipple them just for using KDE 4.2.
scarecrow, you slay me with some of your comments at times :lol2: I've got 4.2 running on both my desktops and on one (was two) of my laptops without any major issues or performance hits. The only annoying thing I've found so far is that, the current proposed updates insist on stripping away 4.2 which is a no-no as I can't add it back after.

Thanks for that David. I'm trying out the proposed solution now on my affected laptop, before dealing with my other machines.

Edit: Eureka!

This solution only applies to those who have had their KDE4.2 removed by the updates.

Remove the following files:

libxulrunner1.9-1.9.0.6-0.1mdv2009.0 
gnome-python-extras-2.19.1-20.3mdv2009.0 
gnome-python-gtkmozembed-2.19.1-20.3mdv2009.0 
yelp-2.24.0-3.3mdv2009.0

Now you can select task-kde4 and restore your 4.2 desktop.

Edited by {BBI}Nexus{BBI}

Now, THAT is what I call pessimism.

KDE 4.2 is quite good at heart, and the only reason I do not use it is stability issues with the propreietary nvidia driver, when compositing is enabled. Quite unfortunately both my dekstop PC and my subnotebook are using nvidia GPU's, and I don't want to crpipple them just for using KDE 4.2.

On another laptop with an Intel GPU, it is working without any major issue- just a few nuts and bolts missing.

kde works quite well for me with nvidia and compositing enabled...that is when I manage to get it enabled bit once that is sorted out, no problems whatsoever...

mdv 2009.1 in general is looking very nice but I don't think they should have postponed the release already, people work harder under the stress of a deadline, it should have been delayed when the deadline was reached and the state of cooker was still to buggy....

anyway it is good they decided to release after ubuntu, after the last few mdv releases, mdv got a lot of attention until ubuntu release and then it's just ubuntu ubuntu ubuntu....

Edited by ffi