Firefox & x-mplayer2 plugin! [solved]

stanituo

@ Yin Yeti:

mplayerplugin is both broken (= issues with xulrunner 1.9X as well as pulseaudio) and virtually unmaintained (last release was June, 2008).

The mplayerplugin author is the same man who's currently developing Gnome-mplayer and gecko-mediaplayer (kdekorte ), and gecko-mediaplayer is simply the successor of mplayerplugin.

Totem-xine should work more or less, while totem-gstreamer is another story. Personally, I avoid using gsteamer-based applications, as they never work as expected- especially with streaming media.

Edited by scarecrow

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just tried it with Firefox 3.0.6 on mdv 2008.1 using the totem-xinelib plugin and it doesn't work either, my guess would be the codec used is not supported (maybe DRM'ed...).

the direct link to the live stream embedded in the page is:

http://www.antenna5.it/tvonline/tv.asx

wget returns:

wget http://www.antenna5.it/tvonline/tv.asx

more tv.asx

<ASX Version="3.0">

<ENTRY>

<REF href = "mms://088.059.059.208:1925" />

</ENTRY>

</ASX>

I have tried vlc, mplayer, xine, but none plays the stream if I start them with mms://88.59.59.208:1925 as CLI parameter...

@scarecrow: Thanks for the info :) I avoid gstreamer too, for the same reasons, although I now keep the libs in case of… For mplayer, although I have no problem with the plugin to date, it's good to know that gecko-mediaplayer is its successor and I'll probably switch to it.

Yves.

now, i have updated my mandriva with urpmi --auto-update and with this last update I have installed firefox 3.0.6.

So, now, when I try to watch the streaming firefox doesn't want plus the old application/x-mplayer2 pluging but it needs video/x-ms-asf plugin!

my question is: there is a standard solution to install some plugins to open all this straming file?

thanks!!!

@ stanituo: surely there is, and it's going like that:

1. You first remove mplayer from the official Mandriva repos (which is built without support for proprietary codecs), and install instead mplayer from Penguin Liberation Front (PLF) repos, which is supporting them.

2. You install the prorpietary codecs either from PLF, or directly from the mplayer site (it's a big tarball, about 14 MB big, which should be deflated at your codecs folder ( I believe it's /usr/lib/codecs but since I'm not using mandriva someone may correct it if I'm wrong).

3. You install the browser plugin, named "gecko-mediaplayer". This will also install "gnome-mplayer", which, despite its name, is not Gnome dependent (just gtk+).

This plugin will work with EVERY major browser: Firefox, Opera, Seamonkey, and Konqueror (the latter will work only with the latest two versions of it, 0.9.3 and 0.9.4).

@ tux99:

I just pasted your link in gnome-mplayer 0.9.3 (I know 0.9.4 is out, but it's not in the official Archlinux repos yet), and it plays just fine (both sound and pic). I can guess it's an issue with your mplayer-codecs.

what mdv version are you using, I tried it on 2008.1, maybe the codecs in 2008.1 are not supporting it , but the newer versions in 2009 are.

what mdv version are you using, I tried it on 2008.1, maybe the codecs in 2008.1 are not supporting it , but the newer versions in 2009 are.

Actually, I have to correct myself, I just tried gnome-mplayer with mms://88.59.59.208:1925 and it works fine!

That's weird though, as I would have thought gnome-mplayer is just a front-end for mplayer and I wasn't able to see the video with mplayer itself...

(obviously I have all plf packages)

Indeed, gnome-mplayer is just a GUI for mplayer, and absolutely NOTHING more than that.

You mean you pasted "mplayer %URL%" in a console and it didn't work? What error messages did it spit out?

actually I have to correct myself again, now mplayer %URL% works, too. Don't know what I did wrong last night...

Anyway, that stream works with mplayer but it doesn't work with the totem-libxine plugin in Firefox, at least not for me.

@ stanituo: surely there is, and it's going like that:

1. You first remove mplayer from the official Mandriva repos (which is built without support for proprietary codecs), and install instead mplayer from Penguin Liberation Front (PLF) repos, which is supporting them.

2. You install the prorpietary codecs either from PLF, or directly from the mplayer site (it's a big tarball, about 14 MB big, which should be deflated at your codecs folder ( I believe it's /usr/lib/codecs but since I'm not using mandriva someone may correct it if I'm wrong).

3. You install the browser plugin, named "gecko-mediaplayer". This will also install "gnome-mplayer", which, despite its name, is not Gnome dependent (just gtk+).

This plugin will work with EVERY major browser: Firefox, Opera, Seamonkey, and Konqueror (the latter will work only with the latest two versions of it, 0.9.3 and 0.9.4).

Hi scarecrow, can you give me (us) the code to make it?

Thanks a lot!

According to your previous posts you should have everything installed except the plugin. So it would be

urpme mplayerplugin; urpmi gecko-mediaplayer

but I still believe that you will need to manually enter: mms://88.59.59.208:1925 for it to work... and that should already work for you using mplayer.

I think the issue when trying to play the stream directly from the website is their use of leading zeros in: mms://088.059.059.208:1925

mplayer (and the related browser plugins) don't seem to be able to handle them, thats why 'mplayer mms://88.59.59.208:1925' works, but the plugin not (and 'mplayer mms://088.059.059.208:1925' not either).

I'm not sure if it is allowed to write the URL like that, so it's either a mplayer issue (if leading zeros are allowed) or a bad web site link (if they are not).

stanituo, try running mplayer mms://88.59.59.208:1925 from a console and see if that works, if not then you still don't have the PLF packages installed, to get those installed see:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/