Firefox & x-mplayer2 plugin! [solved]

stanituo

Hi, I've got a mdv2008.1 and when I try to watch some video streaming from web I have this problem:

I can't watch the video, firefox window is empty and firefox ask me to install a particular plugin: application/x-mplayer2

Anyone can suggest me what I can seach from urmpi repository to solve this problem?

Thanks to all

Edited by stanituo

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

firefox ask me to install a particular plugin: application/x-mplayer2

You can always find this info on the MIME type list at mozdev.org: plugindoc.mozdev.org

In this case it's Windows media. So if you haven't already done so, you will need to add the PLF repos to your software sources using easy-urpmi, the link is at the top-right of the forum page. After you have added the PLF and updated your media sources, you will need to install (from the PLF repos) the mplayer, and the win32-codecs packages. Then install the mplayerplugin package from the Mandriva repos. I would also suggest installing the real-codecs package why you're doing this.

Let us know if that works for you, and welcome aboard! :)

The mplayer from the PLF is compiled with more audio/video support for the patent affected media types.

I have just now checked your URL, and I'm also unable to view the streaming video on that site with mplayer or vlc. Can anybody here watch it?

For me it opens up a pop up window, but the player doesn't show anything. It just says "Getting playlist - stopped". But for me it doesn't complain about the plugin.

This is from my FF about:plugins for the Windows mediaplayer plug-in:

File name: mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
	   mplayerplug-in 3.55

Either I missed something here, or the browser plugin mplayerplugin hasn't been installed, and so until this is done, Firefox won't recognise it. Just installing mplayer and the codecs on it's own won't resolve it, because this is the local media player like totem, kaffeine, vlc, and so on. To get it to work in Firefox, install the mplayerplugin!!

Some media might not play, depending on the codec in use, it happens unfortunately. Just need to find out exactly what format it's being broadcast in.

I know you say that often, scarecrow, but for me mplayerplugin isn't broken and never has been in the past two years. I find it “plug and play†and bug-free.

The video application I have the most trouble with is Totem; for some reason, neither it nor the associated firefox plugin has ever worked flawlessly on my PCs…

Yves.