First install - Newbie to Linux ish

Guest spottedhaggis

Guest spottedhaggis

Hi all.

I last tried linux about 9 or so years ago, Mandrake as I recall, liked it alot, but at the time I did not have the time to learn it over windows so had to give up.

I now have some time and want to install Mandriva onto an Advent 6255 laptop. Debian installed without issues, but I did not like it so much. Have downloaded the i586 dvd iso, burnt it, and started the installation on bootup.

Gets to installing into memory and hangs about 3 quarters of the way through with the error " Fatal Error Finishing Initialisation"

I tried selecting text only but it made no difference.

Specs of system I think meet the minimum requirements.

P1.3ghz Celeron, 512mb ram (64mb shared with graphics

Can anyone offer me any advice. Im not a complete idiot, so you can be fairly techy, but am new to linux, but have used command in debian a few times (mounted cd to try booting the install from the debian boot menu, failed though)

thanks in advance

UPDATE

Looking at the logs as follows.

Opening /proc/splash failed

Short Write (bad Address)

third party: using modules location /tmp/image

fopen(stage1.c:342) failed: no such file or directory

unsetting automatic

exiting bootsplash

opening /proc/splash failed

This is where it hangs and fails

I am trying an ftp installation now

Edited by spottedhaggis

Guest spottedhaggis

I think your right, I seem to be suffering from a batch of cdrs that my drive does not like too much.

I decided to try the ftp live installation, and after 1.30 hours its installed and working very nicely.

Surprisingly fast for only a 1.3ghz with 512mb ram.

What I would like to do now is install it alongside Vista dual boot style on the better quad intel, 4gb ram system I have.

I have a 100gb drive set aside for it, but have no clue on the simplest and most reliable method for dual booting with Vista.

I use alot of web design and graphic tools in Vista and cannot afford to lose them, so dual boot is a must, but I want to install the dvd version of Mandriva rather than cd one for the full whammy package.

Any advice would be great, and since Im learning Linux, I will be asking more.

Guest spottedhaggis

So in simple terms, Run setup for Mandriva installing on new drive (this should put boot loader onto same drive) set bios 1qst boot device to same drive and add relevant windows paths to menu.lst