Please recommend a laser printer that works...

hannu

Could somebody recommend a basic laser printer that would work with MDV2009 without complications right off the bat?

I have an HP LaserJet P1005, didn't work, after hacking around, I got it sort of working with foo2zjs driver, but after a while it stopped working alltogether ...

After all these years of Linux, wonder what it would take to get major hardware manufacturers to co-operate with the Linux community ...

I have a JVC Video camera, its usability depends on its Cyberlink software packaged with it. I can get my videos actually to a Linux box, edited with Pitivi and a DVD produced with Tovid, but the quality and features are not the same you get under Windows.

It's not that Windows or Microsoft has anything to do with it, JVC bought the software from Cyberlink who optimized their programs for their camera.

Thank you,

Hannu

From my experience, any HP LaserJet that supports postscript should work. I am recalling that I opted for an HP LaserJet 1200 series printer for this very reason, since cheaper printers (such as series 1100) did not support postscript. If you can upgrade your printer, to a postscript one, do so.

i have a brother hl-2040 monochrome laser. got it for $50 last year. it's networked on a dlink print server. i would think this would make things more complicated than having it hooked up by usb/parallel. but it works fine. it's not listed in cups but brother has linux drivers on their website.

Thank you all your replies.

I ended up getting a Brother HL-2170W laser printer, works great.

I bought this one because I knew walking to the store that Brother does support Linux and has drivers for most of their printers at their web site.

So, Brother is a Linux friendly manufacturer, buy their printers ...

Hannu

Aye, we have two in our office, a black and white laser, as well as a colour, and they work damn fine. Scanner though, has to be by USB, but then that's OK, I can live with that if I need it, or I just send it to the admin girl :)