as user I get:

/bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/games /usr/lib/qt4/bin /usr/bin /opt/kde3/bin

I then type:

export PATH=$PATH:/opt

and I get:

Unknown command “exportâ€

If I su to root and run:

export PATH=$PATH:/opt

that is accepted but it changes roots PATH not mine.

How in hell do I change my user PATH variable to include /opt???

NB I only want to do it on a per session basis not permanently.

Forget it, it is because I was using Fish. When I changed the shell back to bash it worked. But if anyone can tell me how to make it work in Fish I would love to know. It is a more 'friendly' shell.

Edit: apart from this problem obviously.

Edited by viking777

Yeah, using "set" for (environment) variables is quite common in shells other than bash.
I never got why it was "export" - every time I used it, I always thought, "where am I exporting this variable to? Am I not just setting it?" :unsure:

set makes much more sense.

Edited by tyme

Yeah, using "set" for (environment) variables is quite common in shells other than bash.

Guess it should be this way:

set -x PATH $PATH:/opt

scoonma, since you are the one who told me about this (and I thank you again) it seems pretty churlish of me to go correcting you, so I apologise in advance. But I tried your command and it didn't work, a little bit of digging and I found the answer. This is what you need (in the fish shell anyway):

set PATH[7] /opt

This command will set /opt as the 7th entry in your environment variable PATH.

It does seem to be a lot easier than the 'export' command in bash.

set PATH[7] /opt

This command will set /opt as the 7th entry in your environment variable PATH.

It does seem to be a lot easier than the 'export' command in bash.

But what's it do if you have 8 entry's in PATH already? Does it overwrite #7, or does it shift 7 to 8 and 8 to 9, then put the new one in 7? There has to be a way to do it that doesn't risk overwriting existing PATH entries.

• 2 weeks later...
scoonma, since you are the one who told me about this (and I thank you again) it seems pretty churlish of me to go correcting you, so I apologise in advance. But I tried your command and it didn't work, a little bit of digging and I found the answer.

In fact I have to admit that I don't use fish myself, but found a linke to some useful docs. Another version is here:

Fish user docs

I supposed you needed the export of your path variable:

"Exporting variables

Variables in fish can be exported. This means the variable will be inherited by any commands started by fish. It is convention that exported variables are in uppercase and unexported variables are in lowercase."

I believe you need to use "set", though I'm not versed in it's syntax:

http://www.fishshell.org/user_doc/commands.html#set

In fact I have to admit that I don't use fish myself, but found a linke to some useful docs. Another version is here:

Fish user docs

I supposed you needed the export of your path variable:

"Exporting variables

Variables in fish can be exported. This means the variable will be inherited by any commands started by fish. It is convention that exported variables are in uppercase and unexported variables are in lowercase."

:blink:

Edited by tyme

Tyme,

I am not sure if your post was meant for me or scoonma. In case it was for me can I tell you I gave up on this a while back. Setting/Exporting variables in Fish was something I wanted to do once only, never before and never again after. What ever I did at the time worked for me but I don't really want to go back there!

Hell, I don't even like the command line. I ony started using Fish because I thought it might make cli a bit easier than bash - and it does to some extent, but not enough to make me want to use it too often!

Thanks for the post anyway.