Epic talk about UT2004 and future games

DOlson

http://planetunreal.com/#PQN437016

UT2004 is on track for release for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, published by Atari. Atari and its corporate predecessors Infogrames and GT have always done a great job of publishing Epic's games. They'll continue to have our full support and we'll have theirs.

Two future Epic games are signed with Microsoft. These games haven't been announced yet, so it's a way too early to lay out a platform roadmap, but Epic has always done the right thing when it comes to supporting popular computer and OS platforms, and there's no reason to assume that's going to change now.

Great news about UT2004 (it looks sweet! see below), and a bit of hope for the future as well. Thanks Epic. :)

091803.jpg

From: http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showt...536#post4267536

UT2004 will support Linux (both client and server) as well. As with UT2003, Linux support will be included in the box with UT2004. This time we'll make sure it gets mentioned on the box.

In case you also weren't aware of this: the Windows version of UT2004 will include native 64-bit support for AMD Athlon 64. Tim Sweeney and Ryan Gordon demonstrated the 64-bit version of UT2004 at today's AMD64 launch event in San Francisco.

Well, I don't know about you, but I tried UT2003 on a Windows system with lower specs than my Linux box, and it blew mine out of the water... It's because Epic has a really nice Direct3D renderer, and a ... functional OpenGL renderer. I don't think Ryan is working on the GL renderer so much as making sure the game works, which is what I'm happy about, but don't be going around telling people that games are so much faster, etc on Linux, because right now, they aren't. At least not the newer UT-based ones.

That's pretty weird. I've only tried the Direct3D renderer in Windows. I'll have to try GL sometime.

So what's the issue then, if not the unoptimized GL renderer that most people blame it on?

Yeah, that's true. Well, at least the Q3-based games for me. UT was pretty close though.

I hope that someday UT2003 runs decently on my machine. :)

Talking about UT2003 and machine specs...

A friend with windows and a Athlon 1.3ghz and 392mb ram and a GeForce2MX run it not that good...

I have a p3 550@773 and 256mb and a GF2MX, do you think the Linux version would run "decently" on it??

I dont want fancy-graphics... but also dont want to see a big pixel simulating a bot.