stoopid internet connection question.....

chris z

ok...i'm embarassed, so heap piles of ridicule upon me.....

i have a DSL (actually an ADSL) internet connection. i have it set up to connect on boot. welllll..........tonight, due to the impending hurricane Isabel, my internet connection went down for a while. when i wanted to check if i could connect, i realized that i don't know how to manually connect to the internet, since it's always done it automatically during the boot! :oops: (my bad, i know) i figured out how to get connected via MCC->DrakConnect, but there has to be a better way, via command line, isn't there??? if so, what would that command be? don't know what other info you might need. if you need more than just "how do i connect?", let me know & i'll post it.

also.......

is there a way to have an internet conncetion icon show in the Kicker, sorta like the little flashing computer in the Window$ toolbar, to show when you're connected? and, if so, can that be used to connect & disconnect at will?

thanks in advance. i humbly await your answers...........

Chris

thanks MottS,

the first 3 work for me.

i stand humbled & embarassed. :oops:

Chris

Embarassed ?

Why?

Erm,

While you use the wizards you'll always find it a mystery.

This particular one is an extra mystery because the RPM's are automatically installed by the wizard and it doesn't say what....

I found these by using the deinstall software or kpackage and doing a search on adsl. :D

If you wanna do the wizards and learn then the best thing is to do a updatedb as root before you change something or do a recursive find afterwards on files modified that day.

Quite a few kicker applets actually exist.

You can just use the network activity one for instance....

I'm on NT so ill be more specific tomorrow ....

83mercedes said:

chris z, the answer to your inquiry is called 'knetload'.

(shows internet activity, send & receive, in systray)

thanks! i'll look into that tonight when i get home!

umm.........before i have to post again, where would i find "knetload"? is it an applet in the Kicker somewhere, or is it a "right click"->add tray applet type of thing?

Gowator said:

Embarassed ?

Why?

well, embarassed 'cause i've been using MDK for almost 4 months now & i realized that after all of that time i didn't know how to connect to the internet manually.

If you wanna do the wizards and learn then the best thing is to do a updatedb as root before you change something or do a recursive find afterwards on files modified that day.

what is "updatedb"? do you just run that command from terminal as root? what exactly does that do/show you?

Chris

ummmm........

so, what does it do exactly? (rpm --rebuild) do i need/want to do that on a semi regular basis?

Chris

/gloat

upddatedb is the database for locate.

This indexes your filesystem in snapshots and replaces

find / - name '$1*'

ITs much quicker becuase the index is prebuilt.

You can cron it to run every night etc.

you then use locate or slocate (the secure version)

locate XF86Config

Will show every occurence of XF86Config on your PC at the time of the last snapshot.

The * part is implicit (I think)

So you can use this before and aftwer a mod and just send the output to a file etc. then you can see which files changed!

p.s.

Most windows users have no idea how they connect to the internet (beyond pressing a button) affter 10 years of working with windows so not knowing how to do it in Mandy after 4 months is hardly something to be embarrasseed over :D

I can see from your posts that your knowledge is expaning expontially in all directions ..... if you wanna learn more try using stadard tools like webmin or linuxconf....

the whoe of linux is built on one thing ..... STANDARDS.

This is what makes it diagramiatically oppsed to windows and its greatest strength.....

its what makes it unstoppable by M$ cash injections and why M$ had given up trying to beat it that way and instead has resorted to buying off companies like SCO to undermine the standards or deliberately corrupting the standards like the mods to TCP/IP/ Internet Explorer etc.

Whilst people understand the standards and seek to know how to connect over pppoe on a basic level like you asked M$ can never KILL LINUX.

Far from being embarassed you should be proud to be learning the proper - standard way to do something !!!

Gowator........

thanks for the words of encouragement!

but.......

i'm still not understanding this.

i guess what my questions should be concerning rpm --rebuild are......

1. what EXACTLY does that command do? does it rebuild all of my RPM data bases by cleaning up old/un-needed entries? or, does it look for all RPM data bases on my system & rebuild them to keep them up to date? (as in dependency issues, install locations, etc...)

2. does that command need to be run as a regular cleanup/maintenance procedure? and, if so, (most importantly for me at least) will it do any harm? IE: will the command rpm --rebuild "break" things or make stuff go "fubar"? the Linux motto may be "if it ain't broke, then break it!", but i (personally) don't subscribe to that motto. i don't want to have to spend the whole night (or several days) rebuilding my system just because i issued a command that i didn't need to do.

3. if the answer to my questions are "yes, you should do it, it's harmless, & nothing will get screwed up", then (finally) does that command need to be run as root, or can it be run as user, or doesn't it matter?

(see........i still have lot's of learning to do :? )

thanks again for your time & help.......

Chris

Gowator........

thanks for the words of encouragement!

but.......

i'm still not understanding this.

i guess what my questions should be concerning rpm --rebuild are......

1. what EXACTLY does that command do? does it rebuild all of my RPM data bases by cleaning up old/un-needed entries? or, does it look for all RPM data bases on my system & rebuild them to keep them up to date? (as in dependency issues, install locations, etc...)

2. does that command need to be run as a regular cleanup/maintenance procedure? and, if so, (most importantly for me at least) will it do any harm? IE: will the command rpm --rebuild "break" things or make stuff go "fubar"? the Linux motto may be "if it ain't broke, then break it!", but i (personally) don't subscribe to that motto. i don't want to have to spend the whole night (or several days) rebuilding my system just because i issued a command that i didn't need to do.

3. if the answer to my questions are "yes, you should do it, it's harmless, & nothing will get screwed up", then (finally) does that command need to be run as root, or can it be run as user, or doesn't it matter?

(see........i still have lot's of learning to do :? )

thanks again for your time & help.......

Chris

1) The latter

2) Well theortically it should be OK but ... why risk it if its working :D

A great place for info are the man pages.

just type

man rpm

It will tell you options like rebuild etc.

They can be written in technicalese but mostly if Im was going to answer your question thats what I'd do.

The more you read them and translate the technicalese into plain english for processes you understand the easier it becomes to read processes you dont understand

Thats our main difference in 'experience'. Honest ... there are no magic tricks ....

Imagine instructions for toothpicks in technicalise...

Command rem-food <options>

This is exected from the pre-processor request but the coomand may also be run from the command line

Deps:

You must have toothpick V1.06-02 or later

Command order:

This command is run automatically from 

do-teeth

This is usually sricpted to run twice a day but can be invoked seperately and with options.  

Options:  

-- Meat :  the toothpick will make the appropraite scrumbling and try and spear the offending meat.  The removal option depends on the ability of the sharp head to lodge in the meat.  

-- Popcorn:  this causes the toothpick to activate flick mode.  The offending corn kernel is to hard to be speared so it must be dislodged by a flick.  

etc etc 

--duration |-d   Length of time in milliseconds to active said command

--all Run all food types

--auto

automatically answer yes to prompts on flossing and retries.  

Assocaited command

floss

gargle

brush-teeth

Assocaited files

dah dah

dah....

So its just a matter of intepreting the somewhat verbose language into english.

-- is usually an option

| means OR etc....

If you read it and its still garbage then just ask!!!

Don't be embarassed !!!

Also

Learing linux is deceptive.....

Sometimes its like getting your head down and walking through the rain....

You seem to be getting nowhere then magically the sun comes out and it works.

When you look back you can't believe you came that far....

But best of all ... what you learn in one area almost always helps somewhere else....

:D

Knetload is just a small application that sits in your tray, like

the winblows icons, and tells you about your internet activity.

You can find it easy enough, just do a google search ( I am amazed how easy it is to find almost anything that way!)

You can't connect & disconnect with it, it is only a monitoring app.

:wink:

ummm........usually when i need a new toothpick, i just get the tar.gz file &

tar -zxvf toothpick4-1.6-i586.tar.gz

./configure

make

make install

dependencies are rarely a problem, unless you're trying to use a coloured, plastic toothpick. that's why i stick with natural wood. :wink:

great analogy, though, Gowator. :lol:

me thinks i'll forego rpm --rebuild, at least for now. not in the mood for any surprises. i finally got my CD's from Amazon, so it's gonna be a relaxing night for me. (sssshhhh........don't spread this around, but i actually PAID for those CD's. i hope this doesn't ruin my rep as a criminal that doesn't pay for any of his luxuries. :wink: )

Chris