Exaile

Lexicon

it's an understatement, competitor. Deciding more quickly and cannon work and it is most important all his functions are efficient.

http://jan_lll_sobieski.w.interia.pl/Screenshot-6.png

Option fitting plates in, listening to the radio, of files of popular types, menager of covers, playlists, it is hard to exchange everything. Uh-huh I have him...... Lex

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

IMHO not really worth the hype. Too buggy for it's own sake, and while it crashes less, and it's not as slow as the vastly overhyped Banshee, it does not hold a candle against Amarok.

Unfortunately there's no good music manager for Linux, other than Amarok. Probably Quodlibet, but while it does have some great features, on the other hand some of its edges are very rough, to say the least.

The best alternative should be Foobar2000 via wine, which is working fine if you do a portable installation- but still, I would like a NATIVE application and not having to deal with KDE 3/4 libs.

Edited by scarecrow

Unfortunately there's no good music manager for Linux, other than Amarok.
I disagree. Rhythmbox is quite nice, and does everything I need. I find Amarok to be a bit bloated, far too many unnecessary features tossed in for shits and giggles.

To be honest, I never liked Rhythmbox- or, to be more precise, I do not like the way it handles the library.

The new Listen Music Manager 0.6 (currently only svn) looks great, but it's still quite buggy. We'll see, when it's released. The previous version (0.5) was rather good, but also quite incomplete.

I never got the point of 'music library managers'. I use Audacious as music player (previously used Xmms) and my music library is organized as a hirarchical directory structure on the filesystem managed with 'mc'. Works perfectly for me...

I never got the point of 'music library managers'. I use Audacious as music player (previously used Xmms) and my music library is organized as a hirarchical directory structure on the filesystem managed with 'mc'. Works perfectly for me...

+1

I'll check this one though...

Edited by ilia_kr

About Exaile learned installing MDV-linux-Xfce4-One, wishing to advertise to advertise Mandriva chose this rather than another player. This proves something. This is a new player, please do not be confused with Rythmbox whether similar players.

It was a good decision.....Lex

Edited by Lexicon

Do you mean the visual representation of the library in the GUI? That is, selecting Artist/Album/Song? Or do you mean in some other way?

Yes, I mean the library UI. Just three different settings, and no customization at all.

And- on my system, it fails to read some files which are properly named with utf-8 filename encoding. All aother music managers I have fdo not complain about them.

Songbird would be a possible candidate, BUT- it uses here too much RAM (about ten times the one you mentioned, admittedly with a big, 50.000+ songs library), several crucial extensions not working (on most recent nightly builds), and another minus is it's using gstreamer, which currently has a problem with most streaming media (it has never been very reliable, anyway...).

I'd rather use a player which is based on mplayer, xine or VLC. But so far mplayer frontends are bloated java apps (e.g. aTunes), xine has a few quirks, and VLC works quite well, but it's only frontends are streaming media servers, like Jinzora and Ampache.