Need ideas for re-designing web page.

mystified

I have to fix several errors on this web page (edit link removed)

The person who designed this page used a Windows program called Cool Page. There are several problems. The main one being that they put <br> in the paragraphs which besides being really stupid causes the text to display incorrectly. That won't be hard to fix. The mouseover for the ribbon isn't working and they used a different kind of coding than what I use for mouseovers so I'll have to work on that one. I'd like to get rid of the shockwave flash and I have free license to do what I want. For what little it adds to the page I think it's not worth the problems it can create. One thing I don't understand though, being the beginner that I am, is why the background image remains fixed in Opera but in Mozilla it tiles. Any ideas how to fix that? I'm really tempted to just start all over again and do it differently. WDYT? Also, anything else anybody sees that should be fixed?

Interesting note - I'm using the barter system on this one. I get x number of free horseshoings for my horse for the work I do. :lol:

I'd start again....

Try selecting text etc. and its obvious its been hacked by the creation software to look OK but ...I din't look at the source but it looks like its all set with anchors

whatever you do it'll be hard work and IMHO take a lot longer than just starting from scratch.

While you are still trying to figure out why the software did it that way, why it tiles in opera (and Ie by the way) but not mozilla etc. you could just rewrite the whole thing and make it easier to maintain.

Just my 2C

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid of that Gowator. But it's not just the home page it's all of the pages that have problems. It's going to be a lot of work to redo them.

Anon that's the way the text displays for me. It's because they put the <br> tags in the paragraph and the bottom part is fixed so it overlays. What a mess!

Opinion on changing the looks of the page. I like the live oak for the background on the home page but I'm not thrilled with the font colors. Suggestions for changes, additions, etc?

I started trying to fix stuff at work but eventually it became hard work...

i did a style sheet, couple of templates and copy/pasted in the text via notepad to get rid of any html tags.

Once you have the pretty bit its surprising how quick you can do it...

The more pages the faster you get...

I have 1500 !!!!

Plus Im editing contentt as I go.

The main thing though is they are easier to maintain afterwards....

They are also on average 1/10th of the size....

They just used a WinBlows tool

If you used the same tool it might be easy too but they probably had no idea of the code it generated!!!

I gota go easy cos I did it myself a long time ago...

Thats why im a bit anti Flash now...

Your locked into a tool for a simple thing like editing HTML...

ITs only a few pages, Ill bet you'll finish em today....

I thought this was too funny.

These are the snapshots of the website that caused the owners to have me redo their site -

Image 1

Image 2

And this is a picture from the main page of the site for the program that the pages were written with.

Image 3

It's the most accurate advertisement for what you get than I've ever seen! :lol:

I was feeling really evil so I went to their feedback page. They wanted to know what I liked best about their program and I said, "It gets me more business because people want their web pages done correctly." Then they wanted to know what I didn't like and I gave them the snapshots of the pages for the website. Then they wanted to know how they could improve their website and I said, 'You can fix your site." And then I included a snapshot of their page with the errors. :twisted: Can't wait to see IF they respond.

<ot I have three emoticons actually. mystismiles, mystilol and darkmyst. Paul did it :lol: >

I'm sorry, but I did not have time to read the whole thread, so I'm sorry if I am repeating/whatever anything:

I am re-designing the website for our radio station and I have recently discovered two little gems in the World of design: Fake forms (using php includes) and using CSS with div floats to cut down on tables (and, sometimes, irradicate them completely).

The page is on my webserver at home, so I can't link it, but checkout the great tutorials on www.sitepoint.com to find out how to do this.