Install of RH 9 from 3 iso discs

null

I just installed redhat 9 from 3 iso discs that I got from the nluug.nl netherlands ftp site. All CDs passed the md5 sums, and all CDs passed the "linux mediacheck" at the boot: prompt.

I thought the install was fairly easy & intuitive for a noob like me. I also thought the displayed info & help at the left of each install screen was helpful & informative (better than mdks chintzy info at the bottom of the install screens).

So far it seems to be working ok. I'm not sure if I'm using gnome or kde or ? The taskbar at the bottom of the screen is taller than I like, but the icons in the taskbar are quite large - its eating up my screen space. Anyway, the menu button at the bottom left is a red hat, not a bare foot or a "K" - so I'm not sure what I'm in. I noticed during the "personal desktop" install that it just wanted to install gnome, but I also selected "kde" manually.

I'll use this thread during the next day or so while I am exploring my new RedHat install... :)

I'm sure I'll have a few problems or questions...

well, I have a little problem.

Problem: won't boot from HD (during boot-up it shows "boot from atapi CDROM: failure..." or something like that.

I don't want to boot from cd, shouldn't it boot from HD if there's no CD in the drive?

I can use the boot disk I created at the end of the install - that boots OK.

After the install was finished, the installer told me to remove the CD from the drive, and remove the floppy from the drive and re-boot. Well, it tried to re-boot from the CD and wouldn't boot. So I put in the boot floppy and re-booted - that worked ok, and it led me thru creating a root password, a user account and a couple of other things. Then I just kind of explored around a little bit.

But everytime I try to re-boot, it wont reboot from the HD.

Note: during the install, it said that GRUB would be installed by default, but that I could change it to LILO if I wanted - I did. Another note: I installed redhat over my previous mandrake install, and I selected "remove all linux partitions" during the install, and it said it was going to format over my existing marndrake partitions. I let it do what it wanted to - I didn't change any of its partitioning suggestions.

Is that what is causing the non-booting ? How do I get it to boot into LILO ?

It's late, I'm going to bed....

thanks.

somebody from another board is helping me with the boot problem.

I did install kde during the install, I was just wondering how to switch back & forth - it was defaulting to gnome, but I like kde better.

Anyway, the answer is that when you log back in you can click the "Session" button at the bottom of the screen (I never even noticed it :lol: ) and select gnome or kde). Pretty easy !!