Kicker Bug

Buzz27

All of a sudden I have developed a " bug" associated with Kicker. On startup Kicker appears but once you change to another panel it disappears completely, this happens with or without hiding activated.

The only way to bring kicker back on the screen is by using alt+F2 and calling it up from the command line - this prompts Kicker is already running, but makes it reappear on the screen.

I have also tried alt+f2 Kcontrol and altering the desktop settings back and forth, but this only does the same by diplaying kicker until a panel change is called.

I have also noticed a slowness to my whole GUI, but changing the Graphic settings doesn't seem to achieve much either.

At present I am having to run the KDesktop menu bar with Kasbar to give me access to all panels etc.

On shutdown a KIcker Crash warning becomes visible.

I am running Mandriva 2008 kernel-server-2.6.22.19-2mdv​.

Any Ideas how I can return Kicker to full functionality??

Thanks...

Try to create a new system user and then log on using that user, to see if the problem is related to the config of your current user or global to the system.

Created a new user and Kicker seems to be working okay, although all things are running a bit slowly compared to normal.

Logging back into my original account I have found a few minimized windows hiding down in the bottom RH corner just off the screen, which amongst things showed crash data.

One window had Symantec listed in the title which I have now closed(killed) and this seems to have fixed Kicker on all desktops.

I recall trying to install this way back but it never seemed to work. Maybe one of my system updates has cured a defeciancy in one of the required modules and this has now made Symantec Anti virus start - crippling my system and causing the desktop problem?

Although my Desktop/ Kicker problem may have gone there does however seem to be a lag on all activities - same as with the newly created test user.

Not sure what is causing this?

Even posting this reply has taken alot longer to input due to slow browser/ text entry!

Previously in the dreaded MSWindows I would have bet on this being a corrupt/ flty graphics driver, but I am not aware of driver issues in Linux as I have only moved all my servers over to Linux ( fully) approx 1 yr ago.

Any help with this would be appreciated?

I am slowly replacing all my previous MS Windows software with superior Linux applications, and am learning all the way.

I wouldn't say it has been easy sticking with Linux , but it has been a challenge at some times.

open a konsole window and type 'top' to see which processes are using up most cpu time and therefore are slowing down your PC, maybe post the output of 'top' here (let it run first for a few seconds).

Also GET RID OF EVIL SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS, SYMANTEC SOFTWARE IS WORSE THAN A VIRUS ITSELF!! ;)

Seriously, I didn't even know Symantec had a Linux version of their antivirus, but you certainly don't need it on Linux.

Edited by tux99

Having checked the rtvscand service ( Symantec) was disabled on startup, I rebooted my server and all seems okay.

The speed has dramatically increased and close to normal.

I'm not a great fan of Symantec even when I was using windows it slowed down PC's dramatically.

With installing Vmware and a windows server VM I experimented with installing an antivirus and symantec was the only one I could see available.

It never worked, and as can be seen above caused my Desktop/ Kicker problem when it finally activated itself - due to not being able to remove it automatically.

I haven't had to remove a package that isn't listed in MLCC software management before.

I have found the two scripts in /etc/rc3.d ( S52rvtscand & S53symcfgd ) and also the folder this points to /etc/symantec. Is it just a case of deleting these or do I have to search for all the dependencies ( if there are any )?