Stalls at udev [solved]

johnd

hi

After doing an update on a machine recently installed with Mandriva 2009 the boot process takes forever - it stalls at udev for ages then picks up to full speed again after a long wait.

Any ideas - I don't really want to install again -not a major - but downloading all the updates again is!

I cannot spot anything strange in the logs.

Thanks

John

hi

After doing an update on a machine recently installed with Mandriva 2009 the boot process takes forever - it stalls at udev for ages then picks up to full speed again after a long wait.

Any ideas - I don't really want to install again -not a major - but downloading all the updates again is!

I cannot spot anything strange in the logs.

Thanks

John

Happens to me too, not forever, but maybe 15 seconds or so, do you maybe have a Nvidia GPU?

I never bothered investigating it as I thought it's relaterd to loading the Nvidia kernel module which appears with a message right after that at boot.

Edited by tux99

Happens to me too, not forever, but maybe 15 seconds or so, do you maybe have a Nvidia GPU?

I never bothered investigating it as I thought it's relaterd to loading the Nvidia kernel module which appears with a message right after that at boot.

No - no Nvidia GPU - just simple onboard graphics. Takes several minutes to get going.

No - no Nvidia GPU - just simple onboard graphics. Takes several minutes to get going.

Onboard graphics can be Nvidia too, but more often they are Intel, do you know what yours is?

Also, what devices are connected to you PC (both internal cards and external USB or firewire or others)?

Maybe try disconnecting all (including any internal add-on cards) but the essentials (keyboard/mouse/monitor) and see if it still happens.

If not, then reattach one by one all devices until you find the culprit.

Thanks for your replies:

1. There is really nothing to disconnect - this machine is really basic with on-board everything.

2. nopinit made no difference.

I have installed Mandriva on a number of identical machines with no trouble apart from a NIC card functioning slowly on one (reinstall fixed).

It was going fine before the software update.

Looks like a reinstall might have to happen!

You could disable udev and see if it goes any faster, and then re-enable it again later:

chkconfig udev off

assuming that udev is the service name, unless it's udevd. You can check by doing:

chkconfig --list | grep -i udev

which will filter the result for the udev service. Then, once it's set to off, reboot and see what happens. At worst, you can re-enable it if it does the same problem. Easier than trying to figure out which udev rule is at fault, but if it does solve it, then you can check the logs for udev possibilities.

I'd also check /var/log/messages though and dmesg for more info, in case something obvious is in here.