Configuration of server in the package manager

yossarian

Hi all,

I've been looking lately for updated versions of packages I have already installed on my machine. After I couldn't find them in the package manager in the MCC, I foolishly reported a bug (request for package). I was answered that these were available in Maiin/backports.

My problem is that even after I ticked Main/backports in the package manager, I still couldn't find the updated versions. In 2009.0 the package manager finds automatically the server from which it is updated, and apparently the server I'm connected to doesn't have Main/backports repository (I suspect it's http://mirror.isoc.org.il/pub/mandriva/).

So my question is: can I configure to which server to connect from the MCC?

Thanks.

Edited by yossarian

I'm sorry if this appears to be a foolish question, but after you opened > software management > options > media manager > and ticked Main/backports, (before you closed the media manager) did you open > file > update > and tick Main/backports then click update?

This has promted me to ask a question that's been on my mind for a while. Why do updates to packages I already have installed never get flagged? I have to manually change from All<-> All to All Updates<-> Not installed and then select them for installation.

I'm sorry if this appears to be a foolish question, but after you opened > software management > options > media manager > and ticked Main/backports, (before you closed the media manager) did you open > file > update > and tick Main/backports then click update?

No, I didn't know I should. :unsure: But I got the "Listing available package" bar running after clicking OK the first time, so doesn't it update from the repos? Anyhow, I did as you suggested now, and it still doesn't solve the problem. I suspect the main/backports repository just doesn't exist on the server.

Wait-wait-wait. I did Greg's trick again, and this time it magically worked. I'm not sure what I did wrong the first time. So I'm going to put Solved on this topic.

Still, just out of curiosity, if anyone knows a way to manually configure the servers to which the package manager synchronizes, I'll be happy to hear.

Thank you for the help!

As far as I know, the only solution is to use the “old easyurpmi interfaceâ€, which allows for choosing the server. I had to do this for the Mandriva server at work because that was also the only way to be sure only http was used, and not ftp or rsync (those are filtered here).

Yves.

Still, just out of curiosity, if anyone knows a way to manually configure the servers to which the package manager synchronizes, I'll be happy to hear.

To add a specific mirror instead of using the MIRRORLIST, open the Mandriva control centre>s/w management>configure media sources>File>Add media , or press Ctrl+A.