KDE4 gradual reduction of gui responsiveness

Guest webguy

Anyone else experience a slowdown over time of the responsiveness of a KDE4 desktop?

Just running web and email for a couple of hours means the UI becomes almost unusable.

I've only got an Athlon XP 2400+ CPU with 512MB memory running KDE4.2 in 2009.1 Cooker,

but given the supposed greater memory efficiency of KDE4 I wouldn't have expected this. I've run

KDE3.5.10 on this platform for the last 6 months without problems

Edited by webguy

512mb is not enough memory to be running KDE4! Up until 5 days ago I had exactly the same processor as you with 1gb of ram and things were sluggish then. I've since upgraded to an Athlon64 3Ghz with 1.5gb of ram and KDE4 runs like a dream.

My graphics card is a bit old too now, an ATI Radeon, its classified as Radeon 9250 or older in MCC

BUT, after reconfiguring it as per this post on the KDE userbase website, and unchecking 3D acceleration I've got a very useful speed up and increase in UI responsiveness

KDE4 is finally looking usable on a daily basis

Currently doing the Cooker update to Qt4.5 to try out

Maybe I won't have to buy a new computer soon!

My cursor becomes less responsive over time. (nVidia GeForce 6600 GT (AGP), dual screen setup) I go to move it and it seems to think about it first. (2009.0, kde4) I wouldn't bother try to fix it though. There is so much wrong since this release came out that I just stopped trying to fix things. I either need to find a new distribution or wait a couple of years for kde4 to get as good as kde3 was. I should have reinstalled 2008.1, but just didn't have the energy to go through the download and reinstall process again.

Yes, I tried KDE4 in 2009.0, but that was Qt4.1.x and things have improved somewhat in the last few months. The speed of development is really quite incredible. I've since bitten the bullet, started up in failsafe without X, uninstalled KDE4 and carefully reinstalled only KDE3.5.10 packages in 2009.0 (apart from the odd app like KTorrent and KMPlayer that are KDE4 only, even in 2009.0). I've also used the same graphics card settings as my post above and things have really picked up to the point I don't feel the need to upgrade for everyday use yet.

I'll just experiment with KDE4 in Cooker for the moment and file the odd bug report.

Edited by webguy