Partitioning question, resierfs.

Guest Heru

Is it possible to resize a reiserfs partition?

You see I already have 9.0 installed, with / on a 28 gig resierfs partition, and /home on a seperate harddrive. It turns out that I need 4 gigs on the first harddrive, and in order to get them I need to resize the reiserfs partition now used for /. So I was wondering if it were possible to resize the reiserfs partition or will I have to delete it and reinstall Mandrake on a new smaller partition?

And if I do in fact need to reinstall Mandrake, how would I do so while keeping the existing users and having them able to use thier existing home directories?

Well.. I don't know any programs that can resize reiserfs partition without formatting, not even partition magic. I am curious of what you need 4 gigs of hd space for. Anyway, since the /home is in separate harddrive, you can reinstall mandrake by just reformatting the / partition and the /home will be kept safe. The only problem is remembering the order you create the users since it seems that every user got their own userid number and group number in mandrake. I found this out the hard way when I switched the order of creating users during one of my reinstallation of mandrake and found that I cannot access my files in my accounts. I can login just fine and ls list the correct files and directories, but just cannot read, write or execute the file due to file permission is set to wrong user.

My suggestion before reformatting and reinstalling mandrake is go to userdrake and write down the numerical version of userid and group id. The first user created will be 501, the second will be 502 and so on.

Any reason why it couldn't be done in MCC? I've done it with ext 3. The fact that is reiserfs he wouldn't be able to do it that way?

It's my / partition, and in order to resize a partition in MCC I need to unmount it. If I unmount the / partition then I'd have problem.

And I don't know if reiserfs can be resized, and Dragonmage leads me to believe that it can't be.

hmm. Well I'll wait a few more hours to see if I get any more responses then I'll go ahead and see what I have to do.

You can check out www.partimage.org and get the bootable cd. This allows you to have no partitions on the drive mounted but you can still do something else. Also, ranish partition manager may support reiserfs resizing. Partimage will allow you to image a partition, but you have to restore to an equal size or greater size, not less.

well I was able to resize it form a bootable CD.

It worked too.

There's only one problem, the system seems slower now, like somehow resizing the reiserfs / partition caused the system to slow down.