Help on using desktop

Xcross87

I have several questions like these:

1. How to change to wallpaper (background) of grub bootloader when startup?

2. How to change the bootscreen (default is Mandriva bootscreen) theme?

3. I want to change my controls theme ( i download from art.gnome.org ); so how do I use it? (where to put those controls files?)

4. I'm having trouble w/ screensaver, I want to change screensaver. including lockscreen. I downloaded some from gnome-look.org then extract files to: /usr/share/gnome-screensaver, then change key: lock_screen_theme according to the one I downloaded but it seems like the background of lock-screen doesn't change (the default lockscreen is Mandriva screen), that's for lock-screen; and I dont know where to change add more screen-savers to the list (Screensaver Properties dialog).

5. Is there any way to reduce size of the system tray (i mean the main menu panel: Applications - Places - System)? It's kinda too large... (including icon size and panel size)?

6. My Firefox, some pages its size is too small, some pages its size is too big, often too bold also. How can I fix this problem? It's kinda totally different display when using firefox in Linux and Windows. Is there anyway to make the font display of Firefox in Linux same/similiar to Windows?

7. When I turn on 3D mode effects, choose Compiz-fusion but when restart all of my apps lose the title bar....what happened?

8. How to use compiz? (because i want to run AWN)

I'm kinda new to Linux, so I really appreciate help from community.

p/s: I love Mandriva :D

I don't theink there is an easy way to change the GRUB background, however you can change the boot background in the Mandriva control center in the Boot tab there is an icon which starts the app where you can change your boot theme. To use your background create a new theme.

What do you mean by controls theme? Widgets (buttons, tabs, radio boxes etc) ? Look for GTK themes in the package manager. The same applies to screensavers.

What's too small or too big in Firefox exactly? Font size? You can setup a minimum font size in Firefox on Edit\Settings (or Options, I don't use English here)\Content tab. Additionally you can change the font size quickly in FF by Ctrl+mousewheel just like in Opera. But you have to setup the page every time like that when you visit it agan.

Hopefully someone else answers the rest of your questions because I don't use Compiz or Gnome.

Grub backgrounds are gzipped xpm images sized 640*480 and only 14 colors.

So, you can easily create one such background by simply making an xpm image with the above size/color depth, and then gzipping it. Then, simply put "fooimage.xpm.gz" in the /boot/grub folder, and edit /boot/grub/menu.lst accordingly:

splashimage=/grub/fooimage.xpm.gz

or, if you don't have a separate /boot patition,

splashimage=/boot/grub/fooimage.xpm.gz

Edited by scarecrow

3. I want to change my controls theme ( i download from art.gnome.org ); so how do I use it? (where to put those controls files?)
For GNOME, open the Theme Manager (IIRC, System -> Preferences -> Themes) and drag and drop the download ZIP (or similar) files into this window, or use the button for adding themes. Alternatively, extract the contents to the .themes folder in your Home directory (you may need to right click on Nautilus, the file browser, and turn on "Show Hidden Files/Directories").

5. Is there any way to reduce size of the system tray (i mean the main menu panel: Applications - Places - System)? It's kinda too large... (including icon size and panel size)?
Right click on the Panel and select Properties.

I don't know specific answers to your other questions right now (not in front of a Linux machine), so hopefully someone else has tips.

Edited by tyme

7. When I turn on 3D mode effects, choose Compiz-fusion but when restart all of my apps lose the title bar....what happened?

what do you mean with "choose Compiz-fusion but when restart all of my apps"?

if u're losing the compiz-window-decorator....you can restart it typing in the terminal

compiz-window-decorator --replace

it used to happen many times while I was using KDE4.... I don't know if it'll work 4 u...

if you want to get more plugins and info about compiz I suggest u to take a look at this page http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/ ..........it helped me

tell me if it didn't worked and I'll try to help u....

If you want to know more about grub....I'm reading its manual....what scarecrow said it's right but just to make sure

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

its helping me rebuild my damaged grub (by myself :( ) hope this help u and others too...