Need Linux for laptop with flash disk

boatman9

What would be a good Linux to use on a laptop with an 8GB flash disk? How about Mandriva Mini? I see an iso file named "mandriva-linux-2008.0-free-mini-dual.iso" HERE, what's that?

Of course an OS for use on a flash disk should not write to the disk often, so I am looking for something with a non-journaled file system and very little system logging.

If what I think it is, it's just a network install disk that will give you the same end product - rather than a cut down small install of Linux. If you do put Mandy on it, I would suggest just one partition / and no more than this since it will be hard to get a balance between mixing / and /home otherwise. Swap would also be a prob, so don't put swap on the flash disk.

Non-journaling you're looking at ext2 instead of ext3, reiserfs, xfs, jfs and so on.

I'm running mdv 2009.0 on a HP2133 Mini-Note with a 8GB Transcend SLC flash disk, see here:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...st&p=548074

The only changes I did was to make /tmp and /var/tmp on tmpfs (ram disk), use ext2 instead of ext3 and disable all disk caching in Firefox/Seamonkey, Flash player and Acrobat Reader.

If you make sure the flash disk is SLC it should last many years of normal use.

Forgot to add: DO NOT MAKE A SWAP PARTITION ON THE FLASH DISK!! (make sure the laptop has enough RAM, so that it doesn't need a swap partition)

Edited by tux99

USB sticks are never SLC (as far as I know), there are SLC CF cards and SLC SSDs.

Of course it's safe to use MLC for read-only installs, even for read write ones, as long as you don't keep precious data along with the OS on the same stick (you can do that too as long as you have backups of the data), worst case when the stick dies, you get a new one, they are so cheap these days anyway!

See here for SLC vs. MLC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-level_cell