Major Hardware Upgrade

mindwave

Ok, back in the day (pre linux) if you were going to replace a MB, CPU and add another HD, you threw in the win98 cd and did a "dirty reinstall"

You ended up with lots of redundent files, but with 120MB drive who cared!

its that time of year again. I'm going to move my MAIN PC running MDV 2009 from a duo core to a quad core.

I will be replacing the MB, the COU, the ram and adding another 500GB HD.

Currently my system is running on a 320GB drive, with another 400GB drive for downloads and stuff.

since i JUST rebuilt the system (HD crash)I'd rather not have to zero out and start from scratch.

I know I can save my HOME.

Is there ANYWAY, a magic command line switch, what ever, that would allow me to take my current "\" "swap" and run some sort of update (?) that would load all the drivers I need, configure things etc?

Then of course I would LIKE to take my "\home" and move it to a new 500gb drive all its own.

I must say the wisdom of putting "\home" on its own partition should be part of Linux101

But anyway, anyone who has any commandline switches (I'm not expecting my GUI to comes up) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

J

Basically, that's it. Your current install will be usable on your new setup. Before changing anything to your hardware, though, be sure:

— to have a good Live CD at hand, such as System Rescue CD,

— to install the “task-x11†and â€harddrake†packages if they are not already,

— [edit:DELETE]to ensure that the harddrake startup service (daemon) is enabled,[/DELETE; thanks ffi]

— that the proprietary packages for your new hardware are installed, especially regarding connectivity (network),

— that your system is up-to-date.

From there, whatever happens (apart from hardware damage), we should be able to help you.

Yves.

[edit] I forgot: moving /home to the new hard drive will come in a second stage, when your new system has booted fine.

Edited by theYinYeti

I just did something similar:

I bought a new additional PC and as I didn't want to have to install Mandriva from scratch, with then having to select all additional packages and configure everything to my liking, I just cloned the Mandriva 2008.1 HDD from my current main PC with 'dd' and inserted it into the new PC.

Guess what, everything worked flawlessly, I only had to run drakxconf to reconfigure X as the GPU is intel instead of Nvidia.

The new PC is completely different hardware compared to the old one and still, apart from X, Mandriva reconfigured everything automatically! :D

Try doing that with Windows XP.... :P

were you using mdv2009?

no 2008.1, but 2009 should work the same. But if you are only upgrading the PC and therefore reusing the old hdd, you don't even need to clone the hdd with dd like I did, I did that only as I was building an additional PC.

Anyway, don't be afraid if the new system doesn't boot. The most likely cause of “failure†is for the naming of partitions to change (eg: hdc becomes sdc, or sda becomes sdd…), but that's easy to cure with a LiveCD (hence my suggestion to have one at hand).

Yves.

Anyway, don't be afraid if the new system doesn't boot. The most likely cause of “failure†is for the naming of partitions to change (eg: hdc becomes sdc, or sda becomes sdd…), but that's easy to cure with a LiveCD (hence my suggestion to have one at hand).

Yves.

Even that should be an issue with the UUID based device naming in the fstab and in grub, it all worked autmagically in my case.

But you are right , better be prepared.

• 3 weeks later...

in case any one is interested worked like a dream

Asus M387M MB

AMD 9950 CPU

4GB ram (will go to 8 next month and may go to 64bit as well)

2.3TB of HD's

22" wide screen LCD

ATI 7859GFX PCIE vid card

works like a PC actually should.

click on icon

BAM its there!

whether its KMAIL, GIMP of VBOX it all runs BAM!