mandriva pxe boot

Guest Brandon

Guest Brandon

Hi,

I am a new user to the Mandriva system. for a school project i am trying to make a pxe boot server, using Mandriva 2009 (updated to the latest today). i have no idea where to start with the images and how to put out a boot file to the other pc's. the system is a dell gx270. i am trying to make this work for a community program that i am working with, where they are bringing in multiple systems per week, this is my first attmpt to do somthing like this, any help as to what i need to install, and where files need to be placed would be very greatly appricated.

Thanks,

Brandon

I am a new user to the Mandriva system. for a school project i am trying to make a pxe boot server, using Mandriva 2009

Hmm, let's see what google pxe mandriva returns, ok here you go:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Installin...nux/PXE_Install

tsk tsk, kids these days, no thinking for themselves....

What are you trying to achieve over PXE, installation of software to the local machine from the server, or booting the client machine over PXE running all software on the server with no installation on the client machine (LTSP)?

If it is the former, then tux99 is pointing you in the right direction. If it is the latter then you should start by looking at this on the wiki.

Are all the machines the same? If so, then your best bet is to make one installation on one machine and then take a Ghost image of it with Norton Ghost or similar. Then you make a pxe image for a network boot that loads drivers and has the ghost.exe included. When you then boot the machines that connect and download the network boot disk that has ghost.exe included, it can then connect to your ghost server and the image can be downloaded to as many machines as you want. I did this up to 125 machines in one go, and they were all ready with Windows XP after about 10 minutes. Then you just need to ensure ghostwalker is on the disk to change the SID's of the machines so that they are all different - this can be done randomly generated - including the name of the machine.

Otherwise, for install, you need to be looking at something like this which I found via google:

http://www.lockstockmods.net/2008/04/25/in...twork-with-pxe/

and the google search in case that's not what you want:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

Either way, the pxe image should be giving you just network access, with some other programs for connectivity to the server.

I did this up to 125 machines in one go, and they were all ready with Windows XP after about 10 minutes. Then you just need to ensure ghostwalker is on the disk to change the SID's of the machines so that they are all different - this can be done randomly generated - including the name of the machine.

So you had 125 machines all with the same Win XP key??? I guess Micro$oft wouldn't be happy, if they knew...

Or did you have a site licence (something the OP probably doesn't have, given his description of his task)?

Windows XP Corporate. So yeah, slightly different. Other alternative, is to do a partial Windows install (blue screen install), and take image after reboot. Ghost this down to all machines, and then all you have to do is finish the gui install answering the questions and inputting a key.