Which version am I using? [solved]

Chris H

Wanting to install some software and it's asking me to select which version I'm using, sort of thing?

Flash

One

Free

Powerpack

Can't remember what I've installed except that it was off Linuxformat uk.

Any ideas how to work out which version?

Ta

If you are a KDE user, the menu opened by clicking on the star in the taskbar is labeled with "free" or "one".

Ta for reply but it's KDE 4 and there doesn't seem to be a Mandriva branded launcher, just KDE or Lancelot.

Umm... let me guess. The one you have installed, probably?

If you don't know what you've installed, then you (most probably) have made a mistake...

It's not really OUR task to know what you've installed... you should know.

It was installed from a cover CD, no longer have it so no idea whether it was free or one. However, rpmdrake asks this question on a number of meta packages during installation. I would've thought that rpmdrake would've been able to sniff it out without asking questions which could throw people. Someone not familiar with Linux/Mandriva may simply walk away rather than take the risk of choosing the wrong answer with unknown consequences.

I can't believe it makes a difference whether it was installed from Free or from One, it's still the same system. The install process is different and the packages installed by default are different, but the repositories are the same.

If you want to add additional software packages to your system, it should make NO difference where you installed from. The important thing is whether it is 2008.1 or 2009.0, not whether it was installed from a DVD or 3 CDs or whatever.

No software I've installed has ever asked me whether I'm using Free or One or Powerpack.

Have a quick install of task-xfce and see if it asks you.
Hey, you're right! :huh:

I always thought the only difference was the package selection, so you could turn one into the other just by adding/removing packages. I can't see why the config files should need to be different... but you're right. I guess I learned something new! Sorry for adding confusion!

The mandriva-release package provides a lot of the branding to the version you have installed. The repos you use for packages will be the same, since the release is always the same, eg: 2008.0, 2008.1, 2009.0 and so on.

That is why you see different versions of mandriva-release for:

One

Free

Powerpack

and so on.

Not config files, I think they are identical. The difference is color schemes, I think.

OK, the 'config' files I referred to are for themes, some screensavers, color schemes (as medo has noted), etc. They can be config, xxxrc, or settings files. Here's an example for you, it's a diff for /var/lib/mandriva/lxde-profiles/Free/config and One/config

--- Free/config	2009-02-08 15:48:23.000000000 -0500
+++ One/config	2009-02-08 15:48:23.000000000 -0500
@@ -4,7 +4,7 @@
#iNet/DndDragThreshold
#iNet/CursorBlink
#iNet/CursorBlinkTime
-sNet/ThemeName=Ia Ora Arctic
+sNet/ThemeName=Ia Ora Smooth
sNet/IconThemeName=nuoveXT2
#iGtk/CanChangeAccels=0
#cGtk/ColorPalette

please note the file is a config. :D

The mandriva-release package provides a lot of the branding to the version you have installed.

I am not talking about mandriva-release-flavour, I am talking about flavour-kde4-config.

As you said mandriva-release-flavour, is about branding:

‎/etc/product.id

‎/etc/product.id.Free

/etc/rpm/macros.d/Free.macros