Canon A70 USB PTP Camera permissions problem

Sal

Using MDK 9.1 I'm having a problem here with my Canon A70. It works fine when logged in as root, KDE sees it as a USB PTP Class camera and I can use GTKam, etc with no problems. But as user it is still seen by KDE but I get the "Unable to initialize camera Check your port settings and camera connectivity and try again. (Details-Could not find the requested device on the USB port)" and the "could not list folders in ./". errors. So I know I have a permissions problem but can't figure out how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sal

Sure, here it is. Thanks, Sal

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

//sal0-ze8cxvr8tt/Address40Book /mnt/Address-Book smbfs credentials=/etc/samba/auth.sal0-ze8cxvr8tt.Sal,noauto 0 0

192.168.0.100:/home/sal/Documents /mnt/Documents nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,noauto,nosuid,soft 0 0

//sal0-ze8cxvr8tt/SharedDocs /mnt/SharedDocs smbfs credentials=/etc/samba/auth.sal0-ze8cxvr8tt.Sal,noauto 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,unhide,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

//sal-b1tk3omk4hd/public_html /mnt/public_html smbfs user,credentials=/etc/samba/auth.sal-b1tk3omk4hd.Sal,noauto 0 0

/dev/hda2 /mnt/windows ntfs iocharset=iso8859-1,ro,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/sda1 /mnt/removable auto user,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,umask=0,exec 0 0

I found an answer to the problem! It involves an easy edit of the /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap file. If you know the vendor and product id of your PTP camera I believe this would work for any PTP camera that is seen by root. Check out this tutorial by Peter Toft. Sal

http://pto.linuxbog.dk/Canon_PowerShot_A70_Linux/