KDE 4

johnd

I hope the answer to my question is not here! - could not find with a brief look.

I have been a PCLOS user since 2007 (Redhat/Fedora before that). I have just canned PCLOS this morning after continuing problems with the Intel 810 chipset and my wide screen. The PCLOS big update to PCLOS2009 really messed things up. Things work perfectly in Mandriva 2009.0!

I left my home directory partition intact and thought I removed all KDE3.5 config files. At login to my usual user name, I have KDE3.5 instead of version 4. I have heard there are issues in swapping so thought I would ask before "messing things up"!!

I already seem to have a hybrid of the two versions - when I try to correct the time one of two things happen - nothing or a KDE4 crash (when I am using KDE3!). I have Dolphin icons on the desktop instead of Konqueror.

So what steps should I take to get a good clean version of KDE4 going from my old home directory that was using KDE3?

Thanks

John

Edited by johnd

Really - there has got to be an easier way than that!

No - the default was KDE3.5 .

I have been told (maybe wrongly) that once 3.5 has been run it is not wise to choose 4 ??

Can any one confirm this - or do I just go ahead and run KDE4?

You just met the main problem (at least for me) of Mandriva 2009. It contains both KDE 3.5.10 and KDE 4.1.3. But instead of two full installs both are a mixture because when Mandriva 2009 was released KDE 4 wasn't in a usable state, a lot of KDE 4 apps wasn't working so they just used the KDE 3 versions of those apps. So there is no clean KDE 4.1 by default.

On the other hand some KDE 4 apps are installed even when you chose KDE 3 as your desktop. This one though is the better choice IMHO.

To use a clean KDE4 I would suggest to upgrade to KDE 4.2. Be aware that it's unsupported. But from what I read on the web it's still much better than KDE 4.1.

I have been told (maybe wrongly) that once 3.5 has been run it is not wise to choose 4 ??

I believe that you have been misinformed. On Mandriva the KDE3.5 config files are in ~/.kde but the KDE4 config files are in ~/.kde4 and so there should not be any problems. On some other distros ~/.kde may be used for KDE3 and KDE4, in those cases the warning is probably correct.

Jim

Your info about ~.kde and ~./kde4 is correct but there must be more to it than that - otherwise why would I be getting KDE4 errors while running KDE3.5? Why have I got a mixture of Dolphin and Konqueror on my desktop - strange.

Never the less I will give KDE4 a run later in the day - (I am using my laptop running PCLOS at the moment).

Thanks

John

Your info about ~.kde and ~./kde4 is correct but there must be more to it than that - otherwise why would I be getting KDE4 errors while running KDE3.5? Why have I got a mixture of Dolphin and Konqueror on my desktop - strange.

dexter11's post above seemed to answer this - because of a mixture of both being installed.

The shortcut on the desktop is for dolphin but you can create a new one for Konqueror. To load the kde3 version of konqueror make the Command /opt/kde3/bin/konqueror . So create a shortcut to application and point it at

/opt/kde3/bin/konqueror

There's no dolphin in kde3, IIRC.

For KDE3 there used to be dolphin, as well as a hacked version named d3lphin.

AFAIK the seond one went south, and since dolphin went as the main filemanager for KDE4, they effectively stopped all KDE3 development.

IMO any version of Dolphin does not hold a candle against krusader, which has mighty good releases for both KDE3 and KDE4.

Well I ran KDE4 this evening - it goes but some strange things seem to happen:

1. I tried to add a shortcut to soffice on the new desktop thingy. It worked - but the generic icon is not changeable to an OO one.

2. I tried adding widgets and it totally screwed up the panel. removed them and it came right again.

I have a large number of ~/.x configuration files in my home directory from my previous install - many of them I want to keep since it makes changing distributions so seemless.

Well I ran KDE4 this evening - it goes but some strange things seem to happen:

1. I tried to add a shortcut to soffice on the new desktop thingy. It worked - but the generic icon is not changeable to an OO one.

2. I tried adding widgets and it totally screwed up the panel. removed them and it came right again.

I have a large number of ~/.x configuration files in my home directory from my previous install - many of them I want to keep since it makes changing distributions so seemless.

Things seem to have settled down mainly now - but am looking forward to when KDE4.2 becomes available in the repositories.