2009 KDE4 HP1315 (usually recognised as 1310)

xboxboy

Hi guys,

I've installed 2009 KDE4, and its working with all my hardware straight off the bat! Sound! Yes! Graphics, had to install nvidia driver, but had graphical log in! Network Card! Yes! Raid! Yes!

Its all perfect....except I went to print an assignment tonight, no printer.

This printer, HP 1315, has worked under 9.0, 2008 and 2008.1 with no dramas.

I seen a post sometime ago about printers being a bit of a hassle in 2009, not sure if it was because of KDE4 or not. Either way I need it to work.

I tried: Tools, system tools, configure your computer, hardware, printers etc..where its says your about to install blah blah, but it fails.

If I turn the printer off then on again, it tries to install again, but also fails.

I downloaded the latest Hplip, and that fails to install with a lot of dependencies not being able to be installed.

I updated media through easy urmpi. Still no luck.

I seen in another post this was asked for:

[root@localhost matthew]# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 0457:0151 Silicon Integrated Systems Corp. Super Flash 1GB Flash Drive
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Hi-Speed 21-in-1 Flash Card Reader/Writer (Internal/External)
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 006 Device 004: ID 03f0:3f11 Hewlett-Packard PSC-1315/PSC-1317
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 007 Device 003: ID 046d:c040 Logitech, Inc.
Bus 007 Device 002: ID 046d:c313 Logitech, Inc.
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001[/code]

IMHO Im having dependency issues, but I dont know how to fix it. Please help. This printer has served me well for years....and I just refilled the inks ;)

Where did you download the latest hplip? For me, if it worked in previous versions, then a simple:

urpmi hplip

should get hplip installed in Mandriva 2009. Then your best bet is configure through cups in web browser:

http://localhost:631

and then set up the HP printer in here. If hplip will not install through urpmi, then you need to use easyurpmi to set up all your repositories, just make sure you have the correct version of Mandriva selected when you do this.

Sounds like you don't have cups packages installed then if you can't connect to the http address that I gave. You can check to see what's listening from the console:

netstat -tunlp | grep 631

and if no output, then cups is not installed and running - and probably why you can't configure the printers correctly.

Forgot to mention, it installed the server kernel, is this normal?

Certainly not... but this is (probably) not the reason you are unable to print.

There ***might*** have been some security policies that are preventing you from printing, but still...

Can you run in a root console

service cups restart

and then try again connecting to the cups daemon via http://localhost:631 ?

Edited by scarecrow

• 2 weeks later...
[root@localhost matthew]# uname -a

Linux localhost 2.6.27.10-server-1mnb #1 SMP Thu Jan 29 10:59:23 EST 2009 i686 Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz GNU/Linux

That is the server kernel isn't it? My old installs used to have a desktop kernel...I just used all the defaults, not sure how that happened.

root@localhost matthew]# service cups restart

Stopping CUPS printing system: [ OK ]

Starting CUPS printing system: [ OK ]

Still no luck with printing though. I can bring up cups with http://localhost:631/ though now, before nothing happened. I cannot add the printer, or if i do find, it cannot find the printer.

Edited by xboxboy

I was unable to install hplip.

Did you ever install hplip? If not, try installing it after you have booted up the kernel-desktop-latest, it will install the hplip-hpijs and hplip-hpijs-ppds as depends.

If you are still unable to install it, please post the errors here.

Ok, new install!

Still installed the server kernel. I have now changed this.

[root@localhost Desktop]# uname -a

Linux localhost 2.6.27-desktop-0.rc8.2mnb #1 SMP Thu Oct 2 06:11:56 EDT 2008i686 Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz GNU/Linux

The dual core with raid setup may confuse the install into thinking its a server?

Tried to install using MCC, still not detected.

Can http://localhost:631 to it, but still cannot find it.

Tried to install hplip and this is what I get:

warning: There are 8 missing REQUIRED dependencies.

note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: gcc (gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler)

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libpthread (libpthread - POSIX threads library)

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: make (make - GNU make utility to maintain groups of programs)

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: python-devel (python-devel - Python development files)

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: cups-devel (cups-devel- Common Unix Printing System development files)

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libusb (libusb - USB library)

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libtool (libtool - Library building support services)

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libjpeg (libjpeg - JPEG library)

warning: There are 6 missing OPTIONAL dependencies.

note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'network': libcrypto (libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library)

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'network': libnetsnmp-devel (libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files)

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'fax': dbus (dbus - Message bus system)

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'scan': sane-devel (SANE - Scanning library development files)

warning: Missing OPTIONAL dependency for option 'scan': pil (PIL - Python Imaging Library (required for commandline scanning with hp-scan))

warning: Missing OPTIONAL dependency for option 'scan': xsane (xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE)

This is crazy, it worked flawlessly in 2008...even 9.0 could run this printer.

I keep trying the sh hplip install and eventually it worked!

Still no printer detected.

OMG I boot into windows and the damn printer didn't work there either!

I unplug the power, reconnect the power and it worked!

Boot into 2009, run

su -c "hp-setup"

as directed, and there it is, installed in no time!

Arrrgh, I can't believe I did that! This printer has never done that. Sorry Mandy, you may have been fine all along.