Problems with HP PSC 1510xi

yogibearjmy

I have a similar problem and can't find help anywhere. I have a HP PSC 1510xi All-in-One Printer(and copier/scanner) and I cannot get my laptop to recognize it.

I have Mandriva 2009, everything is plugged in right, and I have tried the KDE Control Module, the websites above and every other website Linux suggests I go to, the application HP Device Manager, and the other various ways of trying to set up my printer. Perhaps I should be posting this elsewhere, but my USB (1 of 3) will not detect that anything is plugged into it. I've restarted the computer with the printer plugged in the port and turned on, and still nothing. Perhaps there is a way to manually make Mandriva/my laptop recognize the port?

Any help is appreciated. Linux life has been so easy with Install & Remove Software until now.

Thanks

IM: liljoey129

Edited by yogibearjmy

According to the hplip page here:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/model...510_series.html

it's gonna work with Mandriva 2009 providing of course the version matches at the top of the page. So, as greg2 says if you've got these installed, then you should have your printer working.

HPLIP is all downloaded and installed.

I went to terminal, logged in as root, and typed in lsusb. This happened:

[root@localhost joe]# lsusb

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

I tried plugging the printer usb cord into the other two ports, even turning it on and off again, and then typing lsusb in terminal and I got the same response. Then I tried my wireless mouse, and it works, and even came up after typing lsusb in terminal as active and recognized.

So....what?

Edited by yogibearjmy

You could try:

lsusb -vv

to see if it gives any information, however, if you plug in the printer and ensure it's switched on, and then do:

dmesg

you should see if anything is recognised - see if anything is shown in dmesg that relates to the printer. Again, su to root privileges first before attempting lsusb or dmesg commands.

Well the two terminal commands showed nothing. It basically is telling me still that nothing is recognized. Yes I did use the Mandriva One CD to install and I have the system-config-printer installed and that doesn't recognize the printer. The bug page above---I didn't really understand if it was telling me to do anything different.

I'm clueless.

Anything else? ...And thank you--big time.

CORRECTION: IGNORE WHAT I JUST WROTE. IT WAS THE BLOODY CORD!! It works!

So first step: always check the cords first. I appreciate all the help. At least I learned along the way.

THANK YOU

Edited by yogibearjmy

It's not possible that both the commands failed to give you anything. You would have to do:

su

first, and enter root password when prompted, and then run the two commands I gave you. Maybe the lsusb might fail, but the dmesg for sure will not. Unless you meant that when you ran dmesg, it had no info for usb - if so please clarify clearly.

It's not possible that both the commands failed to give you anything. You would have to do:

su

first, and enter root password when prompted, and then run the two commands I gave you. Maybe the lsusb might fail, but the dmesg for sure will not. Unless you meant that when you ran dmesg, it had no info for usb - if so please clarify clearly.

Sorry. Yes, dmesg had no info that said any of my USB's are working. But now the USB IS working. It DOES come up in lsusb and dmesg. So NOW everything you suggested to me works correctly, just like you said it would.

Thanks

According to this, it looks like this device is supported by SANE (for scanning). You need to install a front-end package along with libsane. I would suggest Xsane and/or Gimp for scanning.

As for printing in color, you really shouldn't have a problem with it. It should print in color by default, but I would check the configuration (or buttons) of the printer itself.

That's good to know, strange that it wasn't before though. Does that mean you can configure and print now?

Yup. It all works...except for being able to print in color. And then I get to the part where I think I can change the cartridge settings to print color, it asks me for username and password, like everything else does. Well for whatever reason my username and password don't work for this. It says the password is wrong. It's not.

Anyhow...printing is GO!