Slow performance

Guest erikgig

Guest erikgig

I installed mandrake 9.0 on an athlon xp1700 w 384mb ddr 2100 ram with an nvidia geforce2 mx400. The install went perfect but the system runs slower than my other mandrake box which is a celeron 466 with 128mb ram and an intel i810 vid. anyone have any ideas where to start. under xp running unreal turn 2003 i'm getting 65-70 fps and with linux im only getting 10-15.

thanks

Download the nvidia driver from http://www.nvidia.com and install it. Search the board for tutorial how to install it.

Anyway, when I reinstall my mandrake 9.0 because I just gotten a new HD (put the mandrake 9.0 in the new hd, natch). I found out that it was slower than before. It took me two reinstall to make it snappy again. The only two things I did different in my last reinstall is to NOT install the Japanese packages and NOT to update at the end of the install. I don't think you install other language so the only other suggestion is not to update until the install is totally finished could be one that can solve your problem. I dunno why but now my mandrake seems snappy again after I did (or did not) do those two things.. try it.

Guest erikgig

Thanks i'll give it a try. Someone mentioned recompiling the kernel with optimizations for the athlon xp mandrake as yet is not my production os because I run alot of vb and .NET apps