Live Cd Problem

Kiran Hampal

Hi there,

Recently I installed Win7 on a seperate partition - everything went smoothly, and it obvious removed grub.

I know how to restore grub via live cd.

So I got out my Mandriva 2009 live cd and booted up - strangely it didnt work - so I burned a fresh copy.

I tried again. However it wanted me to 'repair filesystem' and I'm stuck here.

Its not a problem with my burners, because any I've tried several. It's not a problem with my .iso image since its the same one I used to install Mandriva in the first place.

Help?!

Not always, but we don't know what Windows 7 screwed up. An installation shouldn't touch the Linux partitions, but then you said you had an error to repair the filesystem. So, either your partition did have a problem it needed fixing, with fsck, or that it was screwed by Windows. I'd say, probably Windows was the problem. Better off without it :)

Answering your second question, yes life is always this hard with Microsoft! ;)

Thanks for the reply. Right, I reinstalled I repartitioned my hdd.

Now I'm getting this error when trying to mount my Partition:

An error occured

mounting partition UUID=0b771208-deba-4899-a298-22e50238277a in directory /mnt/install failed.

And get this popup:

DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

I've never had this error before. Anybody know why?

EDIT: Seemed to be a problem with ext3 filesystem, I've switched to ReiserFS.

Edited by Kiran Hampal

Mandriva 2009.0 uses UUID instead of hard-coded partition names. Unfortunately the UUID does change when re-partitioning (even if just shrinking/expanding) -- at least that is my experience. My guess from the frist pass of yr message is that Mandriva is looking for a partition with UUID which no longer exists. Suggest you boot with a live CD and run following (as root):

fdisk -l /dev/sda 
blkid /dev/sda1

Command 1 is to identify what partitions exist on sda (first hard disk) -- change as needed. Make a note of the partitions containing linux file systems. Assume for sake of argument this is 'sda1'. To find out the UUID for /dev/sda1 you issue command 2. Lastly edit /etc/fstab on your hard disc (not on the livecd) to correct/reflect trhe UUID(s) as you learned them.

Edited by pindakoe

Hi, thanks for that info - but it installed fine with ReiserFS.

Only the problem is when I boot into Mandriva I get this: Please appen a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)

I'm now trying to boot from live cd on mandriva again, but getting a billion SquashFS errors.

I'll now try and boot into Ubuntu live cd, my 3rd favourite linux distro, and see if I can use Pinkdakoe's method there.

Edited by Kiran Hampal