mystery about 3 versions of gstreamer0.10-a52dec

boatman9

While running 2009.0, I see three versions of gstreamer0.10-a52dec available in Software Management (Rpmdrake 2009.0). They are 1plf2009.0, 1mdv2009.0, and 1.1mdv2009.0. After adding 1plf2009.0 only two versions are visible; the installed 1plf2009.0 and the un-installed 1.1mdv2009.0.

After the next package update from command line (urpmi --auto-select) 1.1mdv2009.0 replaces 1plf2009.0. Now only 1.1mdv2009.0 is visible. What happened to the other two versions? Usually the plf version is better. Am I losing any functionality when 1plf2009.0 is replaced by 1.1mdv2009.0 ?

When I am adding a package from command line using urpmi, how can ensure that the plf version will be loaded rather than the mdv version by the same name?

For some reason that's not working for me.

[root@localhost ~]# urpmi --media plf --auto-select
problem reading synthesis file of medium "PLF Free debug"
problem reading synthesis file of medium "PLF Free backports"
problem reading synthesis file of medium "PLF Free backports debug"
problem reading synthesis file of medium "PLF Non-free debug"
problem reading synthesis file of medium "PLF Non-free backports"
problem reading synthesis file of medium "PLF Non-free backports debug"
Packages are up to date
[root@localhost ~]#

In case there are two packages of the same version number, the installed package being from mdv and the un-installed package from plf, I want to replace the mdv version with the plf version. Can that be done easily?

What if a new version is released into mdv but not plf, as seems to have happened with gstreamer0.10-a52dec? When I update all packages, will the plf version be replaced with the newer mdv version?

Edited by boatman9

What if a new version is released into mdv but not plf, as seems to have happened with gstreamer0.10-a52dec? When I update all packages, will the plf version be replaced with the newer mdv version?

Yes. Unless you use the --media option, an update will install the latest version from your sources list. You will have to first remove the mdv version to install the plf version if you want it now.

Yes, I have gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly, Version: 0.10.9-1.1mdv2009.0.

I removed all repos, re-added just the plf repos, and tried to use --replacepkgs to overwrite the mdv version with the plf version, but without success. I used the command "urpmi --replacepkgs gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly". The result is below.

found package(s) gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-0.10.9-1plf2009.0.i586 in urpmi db, but none are installed

I also tried this without success:

[root@localhost urpmi]# urpmi gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
A requested package cannot be installed:
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-0.10.9-1plf2009.0.i586 (in order to keep gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-0.10.9-1.1mdv2009.0.i586)
Continue installation anyway? (Y/n) Y
[root@localhost urpmi]#

There should be a way to do this package replacement from command line urpmi, but I haven't found it yet.

Edited by boatman9

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.