Kernel panic : no init found

atchoum

It seems that either the partitioning scheme is not identical, or you were using UUID's at your fstab.

Anyway, this issue should be easily curable. You can edit /etc/fstab externally (e.g. using a bootCD or pendrive) and replace the UUID entries with device nodes ( /dev/sdx ), and then chroot to the installed system and run "grub-install /dev/sda".

Factly, you may need nothing more than the installation medium you used for installing Linux.

Edited by scarecrow

Acronis image-disk restoration.

This could be your problem. The current e2fsprogs included in Mandriva (and most other distros now), mke2fs will now create new filesystems with 256 byte inodes. I believe that your Acronis will only handle filesystems with 128 byte inodes.

Please see: e2fsprogs-release-1.40.5

Hi Scarecrow,

Sorry for my answer delay, I was patient.

This is my fstab file :

/dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/sda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hda,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount

dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/sdb5 /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/sdb1 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/sdb6 /var ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/sda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

I'm waiting your instructions.

I see that my guess was not terribly good, as your fstab is using traditional node entries, and not UUID's.

So, it seems that some changes have been made after you swapped HD.

Can you boot from a liveCD, or pendrive distro, and give the exact pic of your harddidks these distros can see?

Simply boot from such a disk, and run

fdisk -l

Pass the outcome here, please.

Hi atchoum,

to me the problem has come from your system restauration. I've never worked with Acronis, but it's presumably much simpler to reinstall than get the old image working on your new drive. You did well assigning /home to a seperate partition. This is where all your user data resides. When reinstalling, I'd do partitioning manually and mount /home right at the process.

Other than that you could try to boot an install CD/DVD into rescue mode and try to boot from harddisk from there, then re-install boot loader - this may be possible directly from rescue mode, too. If that fails, reinstalling well maybe isn't smart, but fast and reliable.

HTH,

scoonma