Dumb Adds Coming to Mdk 9.2

pmpatrick

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think adding adware is lame. Why would I want to install a distro with adware??? If they would spend more time making a distro that actually works they would make money. I'd buy it, but as it is everytime I install mandrake something is screwed up and I'm not forking out any of my dough for something that doesn't work... Customer service would be nice too. I sent Mandrake tech support several emails more than 3 years ago and I'm still waiting for a reply, just 1 reply would be nice. No thanks, I'll just go with SuSe or Redhat...

I think adding adware is lame.  Why would I want to install a distro with adware???  If they would spend more time making a distro that actually works they would make money. I'd buy it, but as it is everytime I install mandrake something is screwed up and I'm not forking out any of my dough for something that doesn't work... Customer service would be nice too. I sent Mandrake tech support several emails more than 3 years ago and I'm still waiting for a reply, just 1 reply would be nice.  No thanks, I'll just go with SuSe or Redhat...
You've only made 8 posts here and at least three of em are in offtopic! They've got to be doing something right. Now me on the other hand ... :D

Customer service? You've got it right here! and if you give me you e-mail i'd be more than happy to send you a message (just 1 reply though :))

But seriously mandrake's come a long way in three years. Three years ago, dvd playback needed a degree, usb mice were toys of the nerdy, X looked like a 2 year old put it together. A lot's happened in three years and FYI MDK has been under new management for a while.

As for the adware, like Gael said, it's always been there. I've always seen it, I've always not wanted to see it and you know what? I turned it off. yeah. There's a button that says Details that you can click on and see which packages are getting installed. The only difference w/ 9.2 is that you won't be getting MDK adds you'll be getting company X's adds.

Now the screensavers ... that sucks. That's new and that's post-install, and that will probably be a pain to remove. I think i read somewhere that there won't be adds in screensavers though so ...

You've only made 8 posts here and at least three of em are in offtopic! They've got to be doing something right. Now me on the other hand ...

Well, I'm not your typical newbie. I'll ask questions if I need to, but so far I haven't found anything I can't figure out :D and I'm not really a newbie. Just new here....

According to this statement: http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/mdkads.php3 there won't be any screensaver ads. That's good news for people who actually use the screensaver. I prefer just to let the power management turn off my monitor and not even use the screensavers.

Oh well, when the final comes out, I guess someone will have to be our guinnea pig and tell us how bad they are.

You've only made 8 posts here and at least three of em are in offtopic! They've got to be doing something right. Now me on the other hand ...

Well, I'm not your typical newbie. I'll ask questions if I need to, but so far I haven't found anything I can't figure out :D and I'm not really a newbie. Just new here....

i was just messin with ya. come to #mub and i'll do it even more :twisted:

I don't understand why people are so hostile about the ads. If Mandrake continues to make money, they can again start marketing to retail stores like Walmart and BestBuy to put their distro on the shelves. If the ads are as they say, unobtrusive and easily removed, it doesn't cheapen Mandrake in any way, and by the way, removing an ad will ingrain the ad more in your mind anyway.

There are ads all the time in software. Games have teaser trailers for additional titles, install routines have references to other products, etc. It doesn't impact how the software works. It's not as if they will be putting an ad banner in the menu bar, ala Opera. I think anyone who is against it just needs to take a chill pill, step back and see if the ads are tastefully done before they complain a lot.

I am not loosing any sleep over the ads. My concern is that it shows a direction of thinking that is not healthy for long term business success. I don't believe that they can possibly generate enough capital to make a difference with this idea. But I couold be wrong. :wink:

How much capital they generate is not the point so much as helping with the expenses. Billboards are unsightly, but are arguably necessary in a modern society to get the word out about something. Radio spots are annoying when you want to listen to music, but are a fundamental part of what gets the radio programs on in the first place. Same for TV.

I don't think its unhealthy at all. I think it shifts the balance from selling a product to selling a service connected with the product. That's exactly what Linux companies' marketing plans are all about.

I agree 100% with Ixthusdan on this...

I even did some 'optimistic calculations'. (look back)

What worries me is there messing about with quick fixes when they have something more fundamental to fix in their business model.

They need to get boxes either on the shelves or supplied direct, or both if their logistics can handle it but both are a joke. People wait months if they buy direct and stores are till selling 8.0.

If 'nooble ned' buys Mandrake 7.0 and then tried RH9 He's likely to be dissapointed in MDK7. If the installer trashes his data partition during install he's likely to be dis-satisfied.

If someone order the edition on line, waits 3 months then finds out they have 400MB and counting of updates to download a product they shipped a week ago he's be dissatified.

If he opens his powerpack edition and gets 'bombarded' with advertising and links suggesting he/she donate more money to the club or if they have problems to pay for mandrake expert, again they are dissatisfied.

Im not against them charging but they need to either make the club free or the distro free or at least give a credit to the club membership if you bought a box set.

Even for me a long MDK fan, I still start to Wonder just WHY im paying for a boxset when Mandrake don't even credit me with $10 towards the club membership! At least then Id feel like they appreciated my going and buying it.

Dissatisfied customers tend not to come back!!!

Mandrakes problem is they can't decide on a direction (IMHO) and presently and for a while they have been unable to do either boxset supply or support well. What they have is a great distro and no marketing!! Putting adverts in the paid for editions is IMHO like sticking their finger in the dam as its bursting. A total waste of effort thast could be diverted elsewhere!

Why don't hardware manufacturers support linux?  Marketing!

Why do people still think linux is some weird computer geek thing?  Marketing!

Why is everyone constantly confused about "free" vs. "freedom" in software?  Marketing!

Why don't more people choose linux?  Marketing!

Why does mandrake have continuous financial problems?  Marketing!

How does any business know that they will have customers tomorrow? Marketing!

What will make or break any distrobution?  Marketing!

What is it that Mandrake can't seem to grasp? You know the answer!

What happens if you take marketing out of a business? Bad financials, poor empolyee relations, deterioration of product, begging for money, gasping for air, and death.  Yikes!!!!

I had a thread on this a while ago called 'Who will market our os?' - if I remember correctly.

Linux, as a whole, is in serious need of marketing. As we established, no single person/organisation has the cash available on that scale and the marketing will have to be agressive and guerrila in nature. So it is up to the user, once again, to spread the word, what we need is someone/a group maintaining cohesiveness and administrating the process...

Sorry, a little offtopic, I know :roll: