Man who called gnome people interface nazis....

ffi

I used to be a KDE user. I thought KDE 4.0 was such a disaster I switched to GNOME. I hate the fact that my right button doesn't do what I want it to do. But the whole "break everything" model is painful for users and they can choose to use something else.

I realise the reason for the 4.0 release, but I think they did it badly. They did so may changes it was a half-baked release. It may turn out to be the right decision in the end and I will re-try KDE, but I suspect I'm not the only person they lost.

I got the update through Fedora and there was a mismatch from KDE 3 to KDE 4.0. The desktop was not as functional and it was just a bad experience for me. I'll revisit it when I reinstall the next machine which tends to be every six to eight months.

The GNOME people are talking about doing major surgery so it could also go the other way.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...mp;pageNumber=5

Well maybe now the kde people will start to rethink their plans and give us back our desktop?

(in all honesty kde4.2 isn't all that bad but it still isn't good either and some fundamental design problems remain)

Edited by ffi

Well maybe now the kde people will start to rethink their plans and give us back our desktop?

I doubt it ffi, because doing so would involve admitting they got it wrong in the first place, and human nature being what it is, I regard that as extremely unlikely.

You already know that my solution is XFCE, and although it took a lot of work to get used to it I am now 100% happy with it and I miss KDE not one jot!

Gnome has never been an answer and I doubt that it ever will be.

The KDE mob do not have to rethink anything. They are doing the right thing, and eventually they will prevail (even if the shiny new KDE 4.2 is buggy as hell- have been testing it since some weeks ago, so I can tell ya for sure). KDE 4.2 will STILL be sort-of-usable, but I'm confident KDE 4.3 will be a totally usable and revolutionary DE.

Until KDE 4.3 is out, I am very satisfied with my XFCE 4.6 (svn). It has been much more stable than the recent KDE 4.2 "final" release since some five months ago (when XFCE 4.6 was still an alpha!).

I am very sorry, but I prefer using Windows rather than Gnome- and I'm pretty serious about that.

KDE 4.2 will STILL be sort-of-usable, but I'm confident KDE 4.3 will be a totally usable and revolutionary DE.

Most humans are creatures of habit, very few want a revolution, especially if things before the revolution were working great (KDE3), that's the same reason why Vista failed, the GUI is too different compared to XP.

Therefore unless the GUi of KDE4 gets a lot more similar to KDE 3.5 it will never be the success that KDE3 has been.

Under the hood you can change as much as you want, but the a GUI can only slowly evolve, otherwise you upset most users.

But the similarities stop here.
No, actually, they don't. But I don't feel like starting that argument with you again. I already proved you wrong once (see your gconf-editor comment, etc.). While there are differences, there are more similarities then you are willing to admit to.

Crap, I just went back on my promise from my earlier post. Damn.

Edited by tyme

The KDE mob do not have to rethink anything. They are doing the right thing

They are trying to make a desktop that could work on embedded devices with touchscreens, hence no right mouse options like we used to in kde3.5 (and every other desktop, except for osx in fact) but that simply just doesn't work for desktop users and I don't believe touchscreens will ever be able to replace keyboard/mouse for the desktop, it's anatomically too impractical

no right mouse options like we used to in kde3.5 (and every other desktop, except for osx in fact)
OS X does, in fact, have "right-click" option's (or, menu's, for the most part). If you only have one button on your mouse, they can be accessed via CTRL+Click (or, on trackpads, clicking with two fingers - if you set right options in your trackpad preferences).

If KDE4 truly does not have any right-click options, then it is alone in that.

Edited by tyme