problem installing Mandriva [solved]

anirudh

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I logged on to guest account.... after that What should i do??? I just know that if I press "su" i l go to root.... tell me how to continue install from there on....
Before you even consider installing the Operating system, type
startx

and report the error you get. Also: please post the output of the command

lspci

especially the information about your video card.

When you booted, there was once big "Failed" message visible in the video. Can you tell us exactly, which service it was that the system was unable to start? I couldn't decipher it on the video.

Just a note: It's somehow weird that Fedora 7 ran on your system just fine (as it seems), while Mandriva 2009, which is newer and supports more hardware than Fedora 7 hangs up. :huh: In any case, it you are unable to get Mandriva running, there are many other distros available that you can test. (Distro-hopping can be quite some fun... from time to time :) )

the failed message in the video is for "need_remove_empty_extended"

And the output for your commands

for "startx" --> can't run in frame buffermode. Please specify the bus IDS for all frame buffer services

waiting for xserver to begin accepting connections

giving up

xinit: Connection reset by peer(err no 104): unable to connect to xserver

xinit: No such process(error no3): Server error

for"lspci" I am giving the info about video driver

VGA compatible controller nvidia corporation geforce 6150SE nForce 430(rev a2)

Someone please reply for that
I'm out of my depth here but try running
XFdrake

as root, then try startx again, I'm not to hopeful with the framebuffer error. :embarassed:

Another thing, you asked about md5sums and someone gave you a link.

Did you check the sum of the download and more important of the burnt CD?

A bad download or burn can cause all sorts of strange problems.

Ken

at that black screen(like command window) i tried some combinations of ctrl+alt+(some fn key)... then a lot appeared on my screen... I guess that is what happeneing while mandriva is loading.... I found these errors in the screen and I guess they are the possible errors which make linux install stall. now i give what i saw on the black screen

(date) local host kernel eth0: no IPV6 routers present

(date) local host logger: Error: shorewall start failed

(date) local host kdm[3013]: xserver for display: unexpectedly

(date) local host kdm[3013]:Unable to fireup local display:0; disabling

I hope this might be useful in solving my problem....

@K Bergen

I have given this command "XFdrake" with root login and some options came with "xserver" as title.

I selected the video driver best suited for my mother board and what should I do next??? after that the black screen is returning back with

"Using '/etc/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf' to provide 'gl-conf' at the top and root at the bottom of the screen

What should I do next???

I have left some unpartitioned space exclusively for installing mandriva.... I guess tat is not a problem relating to disc format....

P.S: ubuntu7 is working fine.... just installed that.....

Edited by anirudh

P.S: ubuntu7 is working fine.... just installed that.....

Use Ubuntu 7 then... even if it doesn't exist (and it doesn't).

If you want help, then report with some degree of accuracy. Else, posts about having success with a non-existing Linux distro will not help anyone- including you, and the potential gurus here.

I am just saying that remaining linux distros(fedora, ubuntu) are working fine without any errors. I don't know much about these, so just telling whats going on with my system when I m trying particular things. So that one can guess what might be the problem

Edited by anirudh

Use Ubuntu 7 then... even if it doesn't exist (and it doesn't).

If you want help, then report with some degree of accuracy. Else, posts about having success with a non-existing Linux distro will not help anyone- including you, and the potential gurus here.

Please. :wall: Have you ever made a typo or heard of such a thing?

If you have nothing useful to contribute then please don't.

@anirudh As I said I'm really out of my depth here, we'll just have to wait for someone with more knowledge to respond.

Ken

Run XFdrake again and select the Xorg "nv" driver. Then get back to the text console and use this command:

service -f dm

if that doesn't work then:

service dm stop
startx KDE4

replace KDE4 with GNOME if you are using Gnome. If it doesn't work then report any error messages you see in the console.

BTW I think your pressed Alt+Ctrl+F12, this gives you the output you'd get if you used the dmesg command to view /var/log/messages, in which most events from klogd are logged.

XFdrake is the Mandriva X server configuration tool

service -f dm : restarts the Display Manager service.

So the nv driver works but not the Nvidia driver. Try following the instructions here: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Updating_propr..._from_backports

See what happens.

If it still doesn't work then post the output of these commands:

uname -r
rpm -qa | grep kernel
rpm -qa | grep nvidia

The nvidia proprietary driver does have issues with KDE4 (even the latest 4.2 flavour), but I wouldn't go as far as suggesting replacing KDE4 with Gnome.

For one thing, disabling the nvidia composite driver from xorg.conf and only then logging into KDE4 should work without much fuss.

Obviously enough this is not a satisfactory solution, but since I don't know if I have to blame the nvidia driver or KDE 4.X. I will refrain posting useless stuff.

I do know that the latest nvidia driver works fine with Gnome, XFCE, lxde... and almost all DE's. But since in KDE4 the composite manager is built-in the window manager (E17 as well), things are quite different there.

Edited by scarecrow