problem installing Mandriva [solved]

anirudh

hi friends I am new to linux .... a week back I installed fedora 7 and it installed fine.... I heard the mandriva is good for a user who want to switch from windows. So i have downloaded a file from a torrent mentioned in mandriva home site. the file name was "mandriva-linux-one-2009-KDE4-int-cdrom-i586"

I burned it to a cd and restarted the computer. It started booting quite well. Then a black screen came with a blinking hyphen just like DOS except for that the whole screen is empty. Since I didn't knew what to do i pressed ctrl+alt+del and it moved on a bit and the progress bar started stopped. I waited around an hour thinking that it is installing the OS. But nothing happened. I don't know what problem was. Please tell me what to do. I left 7 gb space unpartioned like I did while I installed Fedora. Please give any possible solutions

My CPU details are: AMD 64X2 2.2GHZ , 2GB ram, M2N-MX mother board, SATA 320 hard disc at 5400 RPM

Edited by anirudh

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard. :)

It could be several things that made the boot-process freeze. First of all, before you burn an iso image, you should verify that the md5sum is okay (=that the iso-image is in tiptop-condition). Secondly, it can be that some piece of your hardware is not fully compatible/not fully implemented yet into Mandriva. When the system boots, you can press "Esc". The bootup screen should then switch to a mode where you see what the system is doing, that is which services are initiated and which ones probably got stuck. Try that boot method and take care where the system says "Failed" instead of "OK".

If you get a black monitor, it usually means that the graphical server didn't kick in. Could you tell us which graphics-card you have? That will probably make it easier for narrowing down the problem.

The installation process is never started unless you tell the system do start the installation process. Once the instalaltion process starts, you will see several windows where you have to answer some simple questions/make decisions about your system setup.

PS:: crtl+alt+del, if pressed twice will reboot the system. ctrl+alt+backspace will reboot the graphical server.

Welcome aboard. :)

It could be several things that made the boot-process freeze. First of all, before you burn an iso image, you should verify that the md5sum is okay (=that the iso-image is in tiptop-condition). Secondly, it can be that some piece of your hardware is not fully compatible/not fully implemented yet into Mandriva. When the system boots, you can press "Esc". The bootup screen should then switch to a mode where you see what the system is doing, that is which services are initiated and which ones probably got stuck. Try that boot method and take care where the system says "Failed" instead of "OK".

If you get a black monitor, it usually means that the graphical server didn't kick in. Could you tell us which graphics-card you have? That will probably make it easier for narrowing down the problem.

The installation process is never started unless you tell the system do start the installation process. Once the instalaltion process starts, you will see several windows where you have to answer some simple questions/make decisions about your system setup.

PS:: crtl+alt+del, if pressed twice will reboot the system. ctrl+alt+backspace will reboot the graphical server.

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=zuuV_W_5wbg

This is what happens when i boot using mandriva....

please watch the video and assessmy condition

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=zuuV_W_5wbg

This is what happens when i boot using mandriva....

please watch the video and assessmy condition

When it gets to the blinking dash on the black screen press Ctrl+Alt+F1 which hopefully gets you to a login prompt.

Login there and use

startx

to try and start the desktop.

Report any errors you get if it doesn't start.

Ken

When it gets to the blinking dash on the black screen press Ctrl+Alt+F1 which hopefully gets you to a login prompt.

Login there and use

startx

to try and start the desktop.

Report any errors you get if it doesn't start.

Ken

What's the login I should use.... what ever i press its reappearig

When you installed you will have set a username and password to use, as well as the password for root. So you can use your standard username that you set up, or if you really must, you can use the root one, but I wouldn't advise you do this, simply because it's bad practice and not good to run an environment as root. For testing and debugging, it would be OK for temporary usage.

When you installed you will have set a username and password to use, as well as the password for root. So you can use your standard username that you set up, or if you really must, you can use the root one, but I wouldn't advise you do this, simply because it's bad practice and not good to run an environment as root. For testing and debugging, it would be OK for temporary usage.
Ian, he installed One so he probably didn't setup a user.

The default user with a One install is guest with no password.

I'm not sure about root.

Ken

Is it different with One? I know I installed it a while ago, but can't remember whether I added a user during installation or not, or even set the root password. Maybe I'm going mad :)

Is it different with One? I know I installed it a while ago, but can't remember whether I added a user during installation or not, or even set the root password. Maybe I'm going mad :)
:P Me too. Going mad that is.

It's been a few years for me too. The One installer just dumps the running system to the hard drive so you end up with a guest account with no password.

I can't remember if you have an opportunity to set the root password or add a user but the user guest will be there.

Ken

I didn't install mandriva till now.... this things are happening when I boot with mandriva disc
Then as I told Ian, user = guest, no password

and root will also have no password.

And despite the warnings about running a GUI as root (well founded) there is no danger in doing so from a Live CD.

Ken