gDesklets

Guest Tux234

I did that but it doesn't have my version besides that snapshot which i tried and it didn't work :cry:

I'm not sure what you are saying?

did you try?

[root@morpheus# urpmi gtk2-devel

To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed (10 MB):

libatk1.0_0-devel-1.4.0-1mdk.i586

libgdk_pixbuf2.0_0-devel-2.2.4-1mdk.i586

libgtk+2.0_0-devel-2.2.4-1mdk.i586

libpango1.0_0-devel-1.2.5-2mdk.i586

Is this OK? (Y/n)

Helloooooooo???

DId anyone read my thread in Everything Linux????

I Have working mandrake gdesklet 0.21 sensor and display rpms on my site!!!

http://iphitus.tk

Go to Linux > Linux software

There are some instructions there and it is important that you read them. THey will also fic your gdesklet-display problem!!

James

Guest viewsonic

As rcxau has it pointed out on his site.

Quote:

You need to install at least one of the below displays/sensors before installing desklets itself.

That did not work for me:

# rpm -ivh gdesklets-weather-0.2-1mdk.noarch.rpm 

error: failed dependencies:

gdesklets is needed by gdesklets-weather-0.2-1mdk

And if I try to install gdesklets first:

rpm -ivh gdesklets-0.21.1-1mdk.i586.rpm        

error: failed dependencies:

gdesklets-display is needed by gdesklets-0.21.1-1mdk

Bit of an infinite loop going on. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Guest viewsonic

Thanks Steve--the first line worked. Now I just have to look around and find out how to get it to work:

# gdesklets

Python 2.3 is recommended.

Python 2.2 might result in unexpected behavior!

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/bin/gdesklets", line 4, in ?

from main import HOME

File "/usr/bin/../../usr/share/gdesklets/main/__init__.py", line 39, in ?

import gnome.ui

File "/home/goetz/tmp/gnome-python-root/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gnome/__init__.py", line 10, in ?

ImportError: No module named gobject

I haven't looked around for answers yet--maybe update Python.

Thanks again,

Chris

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! :mystismiles: :mystismiles: :mystismiles: It WORKED It WOORRRKEED. My :banghead: Are OVERRRR all the problems I had are finally fixed thank you all :mystismiles: :mystismiles: :headbang::headbang: :mystilol: :mystilol: but I have just one more final last question about this thing, how do I move the gdesklets :oops:

• 4 weeks later...
# gdesklets<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->Python 2.3 is recommended.<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->Python 2.2 might result in unexpected behavior!<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->Traceback (most recent call last):<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->  File "/usr/bin/gdesklets", line 4, in ?<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->    from main import HOME<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->  File "/usr/bin/../../usr/share/gdesklets/main/__init__.py", line 39, in ?<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->    import gnome.ui<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->  File "/home/goetz/tmp/gnome-python-root/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gnome/__init__.py", line 10, in ?<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->ImportError: No module named gobject<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->

ok, i got that too (mdk9.1, gnome 2.4), and after dealing with dependency hell for a while, i finally thought i had everything installed, but now all i get is:

[bill@localhost tmp]$ gdesklets

You need a recent version of PyGTK to run this program.

I have PyGtk-0.6.11-4mdk.i586.rpm installed, which is from the cooker... is there a more recent version out there somewhere? any idea what else i should look for?? thanks.

edit: I actually had pygtk-0.6.11-4 and also pygtk2.0-1.99.17-2mdk. I tried removing 0.6.11-4 and that didn't seem to help either :(

ok. This page says that I should:

try setting the PYTHONPATH environment variable to the location where pygtk 2.0 is installed...

Update: This should get you past the PyGTK error... but this does not guarantee that the stuff will work...

I am really peeved off with python... dont like it....

maybe we need a pure c version of gDesklets...

Update 2: Finally got it working....

Just a few notes:

1. Stick to the requirements as specified.

python 2.3

pygtk, pyorbit and gnome-python 2.0

2. Upon installing pygtk, pyorbit and gnome-python ensure that python will find it... if its in a non standard path (like I have it in ... /usr/local/gnome2/lib/python2.3/site-packages/) then ensure that the PYTHONPATH environment variable points to this directory...

3. Installing the sensors is a two step process...

i. run the Install.bin that usually comes with the sensors...

ii. the sensors package should have a .display file... make note of this file...

4. Start the desklet program by typing "gdesklets &"...

5. Now if all is fine it will come up with a message like " this is the first time you are running gDesk.. blah blah "...

6. To show a sensor type gdesklets <complete path to the sensor ".display" file> &

How do I set an environment variable? Seems like one of those basic things I should be able to do, but the only thing i could come up with was "putenv" but that didn't seem to work and i don't want to fuxor things up more than i have to :) anyone wanna point me in the right direction?

HI,

first you should locate where pygtk 2.0 is installed wich i assume you do coz youd dindt ask. so here we go for the variable:

in command line:

$ export PYTHONPATH="the/location/to/pygtk2"

thats a temp way, so if you log out it will be lost, to have it at start time, copy that line to your ~/.bashrc file.

just in case, you could use "locate pygtk" to find where it is, also, as root run updatedb before doing this, just in case!

good luck