Mandriva won't boot

Guest Alcoholicleaf

Guest Alcoholicleaf

Hello,

I'm trying to get Mandriva working at my Packard Bell Easynote laptop. I've been able to successfully install Ubuntu 8.4 and 8.10, but both of these distros do not support my sis mirage 3 GraphicCard. In Ubuntu 8.4 I was able to use a custom driver to get my desktop resolution to 1280 / 800 but with 8.10 I gave up, eventually. While reading forums I've read something about Mandriva supporting the SIS 672 chipset, so I thought lets give it a go!

I've downloaded and burnt the Mandriva Linux One 2009 KDE 4 (live) CD. While booting the cd I've added the startup parameters "acpi=off noapic nolapic", because that's what I need to do to get ubuntu or kubuntu to start up.

The live CD worked fine, no problems at all, it'd automaticly set my desktop to a comfortable resolution so I was realy optimistic. I've clicked on the installer at the desktop and it started to install. Went through the wizzard and everything seemed to work very well.

Options: "use whole HDD" (or something) and at startup properties I've also added "Disable apic""Disable local apic" and "disable acpi".

Then problems started to occur. Setup asked me to reboot and get rid of the installation/live CD. So I did. When shutting down there was a line saying "Sending KILL message to applications <tab> FAILED" or so, but I think that's because of my startup parameters.

The real problem is that Mandriva freezes at startup. Everytime I try to start Mandriva my screen displays the following:

kernel(hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=UUID=417d31b3-8ef6-4545-bcab
-b2d7f59bae2e noapic nolapic acpi=off resume=UUID=6931032e-cf73-45b1-92f5-ef96
1c834261
[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3000, size=0x200330
_

Where the _ after the linux-bzimage rule is flashing. I can't type anything and waiting half an hour does not change anything.

Can someone please help me?

Welcome to the MUB! B)

I am assuming you can still boot using the live CD?

I am assuming that when you installed you used your existing partitions?

If you are not worried about losing data, I would reinstall and during the reinstall recreate new partitions. This will give you a clean start. That would be my first step if I were seeing these problems on my system.

Guest Alcoholicleaf
Welcome to the MUB! B)

I am assuming you can still boot using the live CD?

I am assuming that when you installed you used your existing partitions?

If you are not worried about losing data, I would reinstall and during the reinstall recreate new partitions. This will give you a clean start. That would be my first step if I were seeing these problems on my system.

Actually I've already did that.. but it didn't change anything. I can still use the live CD, but everytime I've installed it hangs where I've mentioned in the first post. My Laptop contains no data, all data is on my desktop computer at the moment who is running fine

Guest Alcoholicleaf
Do you see the gui when you attempt to boot that allows you to select safe mode? Can you boot using safe mode?

Ive tried several times but got the same problem as with the normal boot

I guess we simply need to check if your grub (the bootloader) is configured properly. You do have two different UUIDs there (which is the first unusual thing that I see) and probably some paragraphs not placed correctly in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file (I had that once, too after a kernel update. Don't know why, but it happened).

In order to fix that, we need to know a bit about your partition setup and harddisk-type. Please boot the live CD and run in a terminal the command "fdisk -l", which will list all partitions and harddisks of your system. Please post the result in here, as well as the contents of your /boot/grub/menu.lst file. (in order to do that you will have to mount the /root partition of your install. It can be done like this:

root@linux:~#  fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GByte,blablablah

Device  boot.	 start		end	 blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *		   1		1216	 9767488+  83  Linux
/dev/sda2			1217		9733	68412802+   5  extended
/dev/sda5			1217		1459	 1951866   82  Linux Swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6			1460		9733	66460873+  83  Linux

now run e.g.:

root@linux:~# mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt ... (that means: mount -t filesystemtype-of-linux-partition located at partition /dev/sda1 at mountpoint /mnt)

Once, this is done, you can read the menu.lst file by navigating to the /mnt/boot/grub folder.

If you need more help/info about mounting partitions, launch in a terminal

mount --help

or

man mount

Actually, it's highly likely that you can get 1280*800 resolution by just setting your video driver to "vesa".

No 3D stuff or hardware acceleration, of course- factly, I doubt if these things can be achieved by a specific driver for your videocard.

The package that may (or may not- cannot know) give you a working driver for that videocard is named xf86-video-sis and it should be available in any Linux distro.

Guest Alcoholicleaf
I guess we simply need to check if your grub (the bootloader) is configured properly. You do have two different UUIDs there (which is the first unusual thing that I see) and probably some paragraphs not placed correctly in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file (I had that once, too after a kernel update. Don't know why, but it happened).

In order to fix that, we need to know a bit about your partition setup and harddisk-type. Please boot the live CD and run in a terminal the command "fdisk -l", which will list all partitions and harddisks of your system. Please post the result in here, as well as the contents of your /boot/grub/menu.lst file. (in order to do that you will have to mount the /root partition of your install. It can be done like this:

root@linux:~#  fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GByte,blablablah

Device  boot.	 start		end	 blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *		   1		1216	 9767488+  83  Linux
/dev/sda2			1217		9733	68412802+   5  extended
/dev/sda5			1217		1459	 1951866   82  Linux Swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6			1460		9733	66460873+  83  Linux

now run e.g.:

root@linux:~# mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt ... (that means: mount -t filesystemtype-of-linux-partition located at partition /dev/sda1 at mountpoint /mnt)

Once, this is done, you can read the menu.lst file by navigating to the /mnt/boot/grub folder.

If you need more help/info about mounting partitions, launch in a terminal

mount --help

or

man mount

Thats more usefull!

I can deliver any information you want, but not via konsole terminal atleast i think.

While opening terminal via Live CD ==> [guest@localhost] and sudo gksudo desu etc. all no work.

Here's content of my GRUB (menu.lst)

timeout 10
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
default 0

title linux
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=UUID=1e73fdac-def8-4859-afa2-99e6411c0cb0  apic resume=UUID=f11a6342-ea4a-4d3e-89e2-890e799d00a2 splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=UUID=1e73fdac-def8-4859-afa2-99e6411c0cb0  apic resume=UUID=f11a6342-ea4a-4d3e-89e2-890e799d00a2

title failsafe
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=UUID=1e73fdac-def8-4859-afa2-99e6411c0cb0  noapic failsafe acpi=off

To get more information about HDD:

Dolphin gives me two "Volumes" both called "ext3"

one of both contains the boot folder, and lots of other folders (etc dev home initrd)

The other one only contains the folders "guest" and "lost+found"

hope this helps you to help me ;)

EDIT: by the way, have cleaninstalled "mandriva" via live CD and chose option to use one single HDD

Edited by Alcoholicleaf

Please change the file so that it looks more like this as you did a reinstall with only two partitions (Check the UUID!!!! It could be different from my proposition):

timeout 10
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/gfxmenu

default 0

title linux
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=UUID=1e73fdac-def8-4859-afa2-99e6411c0cb0 noapic nolapic splash=silent vga=788

If you have problems with the UUID, you can alternatively try /dev/sda and similar pointers. They should basically work.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Did this end up solving the problem arctic?

I'm struggling in much the same way with a Benq A53 laptop (Sis hardware is just so problematic).

Your original point of adding in the noapic nolapic parameters was the only thing saving me from sending this laptop back. No livecd boot otherwise.

Edited by inneed