Volunteer translators? [solved]

neddie

I've seen the list of translators in the FAQs but it's not quite clear what kind of translators those people have volunteered for, and the list is pretty old so may not still be current. So rather than scatter PMs around, I thought a new thread might do the trick.

I'm looking for help translating a number of key phrases for a GPL'd application. It's already available in a number of languages but there's a new version coming out and therefore there are several new bits of text which need translating, preferably by a native speaker.

For these four languages (French, Italian, Spanish, Polish) there are about 40 bits of text to be added. Most of them are very short, like text for a button or a menu command. Even if you only want to do a handful of them, that would still be a great help.

I can't offer you a cut of the profits but I can put your alias of choice in the credits page if you wish!

If you're interested in helping, please reply here and we can sort out the files.

PS/ Of course you can also volunteer if you speak a language other than the ones listed here, but then there won't be 40 or so bits of text, but instead 400+.

Edited by neddie

When I volunteered for translating from Fr/En to En/Fr, I was thinking about translating posts for those who are not fluent enough in English.

Yet, I don't mind at all translating thoses phrases for you. Where are those located ? Do you have special expectations regarding delay/schedule ?

Yves.

@YinYeti: Thanks very much for offering!

I'm open to suggestions how to make translations as easy as possible, we can do it here in this thread (as it's "only" 40 or so new texts), or do it off-board via PMs or emails, or you could use the online wiki if you prefer. (Note, no registration is required for that wiki if you don't want)

Basically the way it works is this: I made a four-column table, the first column is the internal key, you can ignore that. The second column is a description of the purpose of the text; the third column is the English version of the text, and the fourth column is the French translation. In the codebox below I don't know how to make the columns look pretty but the || signs are the column separators.

It looks better in the wiki but then it's more difficult to find the new, untranslated texts in amongst all the others. On the other hand, in the wiki the other texts do help provide some context for the texts and how the others were translated. Please use whichever you find easiest.

|| menu.edit.deletemarked || Delete the points which have been marked by the compression || Delete marked points ||  ||
|| menu.edit.average || Make a new point which has the average position of the selection || Average selection ||  ||
|| menu.map.newpoint || Create new point at the click position || Create new point ||  ||
|| function.sendtogps ||  || Send data to GPS ||  ||
|| function.charts ||  || Charts ||  ||
|| function.distances || Show a list of distances between waypoints || Distances ||  ||
|| function.setmapbg || Set the tile server for the background maps || Set map background ||  ||
|| dialog.gpsload.device || parameter for gpsbabel, eg '/dev/ttyUSB0' || Device name ||  ||
|| dialog.gpsload.format || parameter for gpsbabel, eg 'garmin' || Format ||  ||
|| dialog.gpsload.getwaypoints ||  || Load waypoints || Télécharger les waypoints ||
|| dialog.gpsload.gettracks || Two checkboxes for what to load from GPS || Load tracks || Télécharger les traces ||
|| dialog.gpssend.sendwaypoints ||  || Send waypoints ||  ||
|| dialog.gpssend.sendtracks || Two checkboxes for what to send to GPS || Send tracks ||  ||
|| dialog.charts.output || Panel to choose where to output to || Output ||  ||
|| dialog.charts.screen ||  || Output to screen ||  ||
|| dialog.charts.svg ||  || Output to SVG file ||  ||
|| dialog.charts.svgwidth || width and height of SVG file in pixels || SVG width ||  ||
|| dialog.charts.svgheight ||  || SVG height ||  ||
|| dialog.charts.needaltitudeortimes || Without altitudes and without times, can't draw any charts || The track must have either altitudes or time information in order to create charts ||  ||
|| dialog.charts.gnuplotnotfound || Error message shown when gnuplot path changed but still not found || Could not find Gnuplot with the given path ||  ||
|| dialog.distances.intro ||  || Straight line distances between points ||  ||
|| dialog.distances.column.from || Column heading for distances dialog || From point ||  ||
|| dialog.distances.column.to ||  || To point ||  ||
|| dialog.distances.currentpoint || Table entry for current track point || Current point ||  ||
|| dialog.distances.toofewpoints || Message shown when less than two waypoints available || This function needs waypoints in order to calculate the distances between them ||  ||
|| dialog.setmapbg.cyclemap ||  || Cyclemap ||  ||
|| dialog.setmapbg.server || Label for text box for entering server url || Server URL ||  ||
|| dialog.compress.duplicates.title || checkbox for turning on duplicate removal || Duplicate removal ||  ||
|| dialog.compress.closepoints.title || checkbox for turning on removal of points close to other ones || Nearby point removal ||  ||
|| dialog.compress.closepoints.paramdesc || parameter for close point removal || Span factor ||  ||
|| dialog.compress.wackypoints.title || checkbox for turning on removal of "wacky" or unusual points || Wacky point removal ||  ||
|| dialog.compress.wackypoints.paramdesc || parameter for wacky point removal || Distance factor ||  ||
|| dialog.compress.singletons.title || checkbox for turning on removal of singletons || Singleton removal ||  ||
|| dialog.compress.singletons.paramdesc || parameter for singleton removal || Distance factor ||  ||
|| dialog.compress.summarylabel || label to say how many will be deleted || Points to delete ||  ||
|| dialog.about.languages || languages available in Prune || Available languages ||  ||
|| confirm.rearrangewaypoints || confirmation message || Waypoints rearranged ||  ||
|| confirm.createpoint || confirmation message || point created ||  ||
|| button.gnuplotpath || Open a dialog to enter the path to Gnuplot || Set gnuplot path ||  ||
|| map.overzoom || Message shown when zoom is too high for maps || No maps available at this zoom level ||  ||
|| fieldname.verticalspeed ||  || Vertical speed ||  ||
|| undo.createpoint || entry in undo list || create point ||  ||
|| error.load.noxmlinzip || Zip file or Kmz file opened but no xml file found inside || No xml file found inside zip file ||  ||

As you may have guessed, this is an application for GPS data. Yes it runs on Linux, (it was made using Mandriva!), it's GPL'd, and it's free.

As for timescales, I've frozen the texts but am still testing the code. I'd like to release the new version in early February if possible, so it would be great if the translations were finished during January. But the release date isn't fixed in stone.

@Yossarian: Hebrew would indeed be very interesting, but it depends on demand. As I said there are over 420 texts in total, so this would be a not insignificant effort on your part if you wanted to volunteer. I will raise the suggestion and see if anyone else is interested in contributing or using the application in Hebrew. I know that Hebrew is written right-to-left but I've no idea how much extra work I would have to make it possible.

@Yossarian: Hebrew would indeed be very interesting, but it depends on demand. As I said there are over 420 texts in total, so this would be a not insignificant effort on your part if you wanted to volunteer. I will raise the suggestion and see if anyone else is interested in contributing or using the application in Hebrew. I know that Hebrew is written right-to-left but I've no idea how much extra work I would have to make it possible.

Sure, no problem.

I'd help, but my Polish is OK for roughly translating, but for specifics it'd probably be better for lexicon to help out as he's our native Pole on this board. For me it would be too difficult to get it 100% correct!

@YinYeti: Thanks very much for offering!

I'm open to suggestions how to make translations as easy as possible, we can do it here in this thread (as it's "only" 40 or so new texts), or do it off-board via PMs or emails, or you could use the online wiki if you prefer. (Note, no registration is required for that wiki if you don't want)

The edit is done on the Wiki. I've tried to maintain coherence between texts. This means that some words were kept, although I would have sometimes chosen differently.

Also, I wondered what encoding was acceptable. To be safe, I only used basic ISO-8859-1 characters. Examples : “Etes-vous sûr ?†instead of “Êtes-vous sûr ?â€Â ; “l'ajout†instead of “l’ajoutâ€Â ; and no unbreakable space (in French, “;?:!†punctuation marks must be preceded by a thin unbreakable space, but a normal unbreakable space is acceptable; in your texts, I used simple space characters).

Yves.

That's brilliant, Yves, thank you very much! Perfect! :thumbs:

As for the characters, yes “Êtes-vous sûr ?†is no problem - I can change these. I'm not sure what you mean by “l'ajout†instead of “l’ajout†- is it just the apostrophe which is different? I can hardly see it.

Interesting that you used "ajouter" for the creation of a new point, but "créer" for the averaging - but I think there will always be these little subtleties.

Thanks very much for taking the time to do this, and especially so quick - that's great! And you spotted some more which I didn't notice when making this thread - super!

@ianw - your help would be gratefully received, if you would like to, you can fill in the ones you're fairly sure of and then just leave the rest - it would still be a help! Same goes as for the French, either see the texts I posted above and reply in this thread, or look at the wiki page for items with a blank in the fourth column.

That's brilliant, Yves, thank you very much! Perfect! :thumbs:
You're welcome :)
As for the characters, yes “Êtes-vous sûr ?†is no problem - I can change these.
OK, don't hesitate to ask if you have doubts.
I'm not sure what you mean by “l'ajout†instead of “l’ajout†- is it just the apostrophe which is different? I can hardly see it.
Indeed, that's only a difference with the apostrophe. Since I switched to Dvorak kbd, I took the habit of writing French the right way, with quotes « like that », and real apostrophes, and real ellipses (…), but this good habit plays tricks on me because «, », …, and ’ need UTF-8 encoding, which is not always available. That's why for your texts I voluntarily reverted to standard “computerized-Frenchâ€.
Interesting that you used "ajouter" for the creation of a new point, but "créer" for the averaging - but I think there will always be these little subtleties.
Interesting that you notice this Average thing :P as I wondered a lot how “Average selection†could be translated into a short phrase; English-speaking people probably don't realize how much meaning is conveyed by those two words. This particular translation is maybe a bit different in vocabular but is the result of long thinking… I thought that “Créer†(create a point) would imply some sort of work/creation by the computer, whereas “Ajouter†(add a point) would suggest something more dumb… It's maybe very personal… I don't know; feel free to change :)

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti

I'm afraid I'm an old-fashioned QWERTY person and I've never quite grasped the difference between the "normal" symmetric apostrophes and those left and right ones. When I'm writing emails or web pages or computer code I always just use 'these ones'. I know OpenOffice tries to help me out by auto-replacing them with the asymmetric ones but I think most web pages and computer programs are too lazy to use them. Certainly they don't bother me. I don't think it would be any problem to replace them, as long as they were made completely consistent within one language.

Anyway, thanks YinYeti and thanks tux99, thanks to you two I've got completed texts for both French and Italian, that's brilliant! mub-beer.gif

If anyone else wants to help out with the Spanish or the Polish you're still very welcome!!