Mandrake 9.2 rc2

fahd

Where is the best place to get just the RPM's

I still wanna just mainly do the source RPM's and try and update...

At least one package at atime if something stops working I should know :wink:

But for non critical stuff I might just stick with i686. Like I once said on the Gentoo thread, some stuff just doesn't need to run fast ...

So ill be concentrating on the Multimedia and things that can use the athalon instructions.

It might be interesting to compare .... I have a feeling my compiles might be less efficient in terms of configuation than Mandrakes... like that comparision of Debian, Gentoo and Mandrake.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the athalon optimized is ongoing ...

But last night I decided to get the laptop working with the Wireless Netgear WG511 PCMCIA card.

Since I'd had to disable pcmcia in 9.1 in order to boot I thought what the heck, I don't keep any live data on the laptop....its always backed up to the server so here comes 9.2RC2

Dissapointing to say the least....

The install actually went without hitch but it failed on the pcmcia (???) again.

By the time I realised it was hung it was stuck in the splash screen so I couldn't tell where it was hanging so ....

Powerbutton and reboot.

This time I hit the esc and went into the 'normal service start' and had to recheck the filesystem (due to power button)! I'd also selected RL 1 at lilo

Hmmm... fair enough!

So it starts checking and I go off to make some food...

When I come back its rebooting ... well actually the beep alerted me!

So I quickly jump in and catch lilo and boot linux 1 - quite why it chose to reboot itself I don't know.

Great.... except this time it hangs on the USB.

This sometimes happened in 9.1...

It seems to depend on hard reset vs reboot.

But, what I notice on the screen is that the network is started BEFORE PCMCIA

What sort of half assed logic is that???

So my task after a clean install seems to be:

1) Move the pcmcia startup scripts to somewhere below the network.

2) Stop pcmcia scanning the serial ports too which seems to lock it up...

3) After Ive done this recompile the kernel with pcmcia turned off for kernel support!

Once Ive done all this I can start looking at getting the WG511 actually working....

Frankly its not very good....

Just the fact the init scripts start PCMCIA AFTER network ....shows lack of attention to detail.

If I was a noobie I would have no idea WHY..... all I would know is I installed and it didn't work! (OK this is only RC2)

As it happens I had the same problems with 9.0 - that is the point....

Mandrake haven't lreaned their lesson....

If I was a curious distro ho. just trying out the download I would probably just do what I did with a couple of DISTRO's I tried....

I installed ... curious more than anything and then found they didn't work out of the box. I did this with Xandros and a couple of others ....(including for the moment pure Deb)

WHY ....Well I'm just trying cos Im curious.... If it worked and I liked it I might hang around but meanwhile Ill go back with the one who's faults I know!

But worse still, what if I was a noobie and some friend burned the Cd's for me to try Linux....

What sort of impression do I get...

A few stubborn people persist.....especially if M$ has pissed them so much .... but what of the others ???

OK, moving the init scripts around is actually pretty trivial ... but its not noobie territory...they won't work it out for themselves if they just landed on flight XP2003 and haven't a clue about linux...

Well, tonight I'll go in again and sort out some more.....

Network getting started before PCMCIA isn't anything new, really. 9.0 does it, I'm pretty sure 9.1 does it, tough I never really used 9.1 since it during install or after it wouldn't recognice the filesystem in my /home partition (ext3), unless I reformatted it during the install, which kinda removed the point of having a separate /home. So I moved back to 9.0. And I think 8.2 (or whatever was before 9.0) does it too, though I can't really remember that far back, and I'm not gonna install it just to see :wink:

Setras

PS. Just my luck... I've been at home sick since friday with nothing to do, and no 9.2 final yet. With my luck, it'll come out first thing Monday Morning. :roll:

Yeah well it might date back a while but its pretty damned stupid.

Like you Ive been around linux a while but surely at some point they will realise if your NIC is PCMCIA initialising it before PCMCIA isn't going to work!

Bascially almost everything is before PCMCIA, there isn't much you can use without modding it. the point is if they have it why not just do it right!!!

I don't think they're gonna realise it anytime soon... I'm guessing something like 11.0 before they figure it out :lol:

BTW, My trusty PCMCIA network card isn't recognised by the... PCMCIA module (or whatever it is) until after adding

card "D-Link DFE-670TXD Ethernet

manfid 0x0149, 0x4530

bind "pcnet_cs"

to /etc/pcmcia/config. Is there anyway to a) get Mandrake to add that there so I won't have to do it manually? I mean, does it have to come from D-Link or something for them to add it, or is the word of a single user "good enough"? B) get the installation program to recognise the card?

Setras

PS. It's weird how "long" (it's not THAT long since 8.2... Is it?) I've used Linux, and how much of a newbie I still am... :)