Mandrake 9.2 rc2

fahd

Did anyone install it with an SBlive installed? If so did you get any errors while booting up and did sound work as it should like in 9.1?

On my system using a retaill/OEM sblive card I get module loading errors at boot and once I updated to the 2.4.22-7 kernel I could get them to work without crashing but it loads the audigy mixer and resets the mixer on every boot.. Just curious if anyone else get's this sort of issue with an sblive...I submitted as a bug so we'll see..

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to use the kernel-2.4.22.6mdk-1-1mdk as it came with the rc2 release in the install and never had a crash. I didn't notice any bootup messages, but then I didn't use the "verbose" method either. As I noted above, I had to use MCC to set the right driver for my OEM SB-Live card after installation. Similar to what you said, the audigy mixer did pop up a couple of times on reboot, but hasn't since the last 4 or 5 boots, so at least I think I'm past that. All is fine. Good for you for posting the bug.

I was able to use the kernel-2.4.22.6mdk-1-1mdk as it came with the rc2 release in the install and never had a crash.  I didn't notice any bootup messages, but then I didn't use the "verbose" method either. As I noted above, I had to use MCC to set the right driver for my OEM SB-Live card after installation.  Similar to what you said, the audigy mixer did pop up a couple of times on reboot, but hasn't since the last 4 or 5 boots, so at least I think I'm past that.  All is fine. Good for you for posting the bug.

What are you doing rebooting Linux so many times. :wink: j/k

The rebooting was my many attempts to get those Nvidia drivers going :)

I was only messing with you! :lol:

I have an sb-live and it worked fine! Yes, I moved my MAIN system from Gentoo back to MDK! :roll:

During the install all you should have to do is change your sound from "audigy" to "sb-live" and you should be good to go. Samething happened with 9.1.

8)

The rebooting was my many attempts to get those Nvidia drivers going :)

Oh, just an FYI, if you didn't know.

You could alway's run

#init 3

#sh /<location>/NV<tab>

fix your XF86Config-4

#init 5

and your done. No reboot. 8)

Since Nvidia came out with the unified "*.run" script, I have always had a hit and miss getting it to work. Be it RedHat, SuSe, and now Mandrake. But the good pointers I got here got it working. I've built Gentoo many times as well...funny that Mandrake (and actually some other binary distros) simply are faster for me, even with all the "make.conf" optimizations. I've read somewhere about independent tests showing that Mandrake, and even Debian were faster. Heh, they sure got a lot of hate mail from the Gentooians :lol:

here's a link to a screenshot I made: http://home.valornet.com/barryww/snapshot1.png

Nvidia worked without recompiling the kernel, just some editing as noted earlier.

Since Nvidia came out with the unified "*.run" script, I have always had a hit and miss getting it to work.  Be it RedHat, SuSe, and now Mandrake.  But the good pointers I got here got it working.  I've built Gentoo many times as well...funny that Mandrake (and actually some other binary distros) simply are faster for me, even with all the "make.conf" optimizations.   I've read somewhere about independent tests showing that Mandrake, and even Debian were faster.  Heh, they sure got a lot of hate mail from the Gentooians :lol:

here's a link to a screenshot I made: http://home.valornet.com/barryww/snapshot1.png

Nvidia worked without recompiling the kernel, just some editing as noted earlier.

I just came back from Gentoo, and I would agree. It's not as fast as we would like it to be and with the compile times, it really hurts. I like Gentoo, there are a lot of great ideas behind it and I ill probably run it again, but well that's all I will say for now. :wink:

Hi guys....For the record and in case we have othewr intererest...

Im sick of reinstalling everything.

My play partitions are currently using Debian and FreeBSD and Im not blowing them away for RC2....

So....

Im going to backup the partitions and then try something different....

Im downloading the source rpm's

Im going to compile them all for athalon

Then update the 9.1 with them ... one by one,

I might have some scripting to do to automate it but ...

So before I screw up .... any helpful tips appeciated !!!

Yes I know Im mad and I could just use gentoo.

:oops:

Guest fubar::chi
To Mandrake's credit they always post a notice to say that betas and realse candidates shouldn't be used on "production machines".  But if people don't install and test these versions how are the final realises meant to get any better?

install them but not on production machines. If you do install them on production machines don't complain when shit happens, submit a bug report. That's what RCs are meant for.

That's odd I get a failure to load module during boot on my sblive..hmm odd I'll look ove it some more..

Got that, too. Failure while booting ... Hope it will get fixed to final.

I´m using SB Live !, too. After changin the driver it works but i have to do it every time, i reboot the system and that´s really not funny :(

Greetzzz