Mandrake 9.2 rc2

fahd

Again and again. mdk 9.2 beta and rcx all are BETAS. Really I'm disgusted of such thing. Mandrake Linux Installlation tools are undoubtly the best, but it it's not enough stable as debian linux. Seriously I'm sad, because mandrakesoft does not carefully test its packages. I have talked to lot of people who emphasize that if debian is being shiped with mdk install tools, it would be the world most powerful Linux package, is not it?

Waiting Your responses. Thank You.

Fahd :cry:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again and again. mdk 9.2 beta and rcx all are BETAS. Really I'm disgusted of such thing.

Ofcourse they are all beta's. MDK don't claim they are anything else.

An RC simply means a release candicate. Either you test these beta's or RC's or, you wait for the final.

RC2 is excellent. I am not sure what you are talking about. Perhaps if you would explain what you are dealing with, there might be a better answer available. The install process is improved. The graphics are improved. It is using kde 3.1.4! I like what mandrake is doing with this release.

I have used turbolinux, arch, gentoo, and red hat. They all have pluses and minuses or they wouldn't exist. I think that citicising mandrake over a release candidate and using it as an opportunity to push debian is a bit unfair.

Seriously I'm sad, because mandrakesoft does not carefully test its packages. I have talked to lot of people who emphasize that if debian is being shiped with mdk install tools, it would be the world most powerful Linux package, is not it?  

That's why there are beta and release candidates. So that they get tested before the final release.

Debian is stable because the software packages get tested over the course of years. This has the advantage of producing a stable system and the disadvantage of having older versions of programs. That is the tradeoff.

Glitz.

I think rc is damn nice they fixed almost every issue I had with rc1. Only thing that was the same was an odd keyboard error which seems to be how it was mapping the keys.

Something new with rc2 which I reported..:) When it installs it detects my sound card using the emu10k1 driver which is what it's suppose to use but upon boot when loading the module for the kernel it crashes. Only way I could et sound to work was use an alternative driver called snd-emu10k1 which didn't work right. Sound was distorted and the kmixer was setup for the audigy style not sblive. So until they fix the issue so it loads properly with the new 2.4.22 kernel I can't use it..

I will say this those are the only 2 issues I had. Other then those I think rc is rock solid. I am sure they will have the issues I reported fixed by final release and I have to say this version defiantely looks good. Very nice fonts and the eye candy aspect is by far better then 9.1. The addition of kde 3.1.4 and Openoffice 1.1 is a major plus. All in all good so far and on track to be a solid final release.

what about INSTALL FROM HD!!!

did they get it to find the 3 iso's not just the first CD!!

ah someone please please tell them to do this :P

so it seems i have major problems with 1 cd with nothing but X installed from teh packages and the package manager doesnt work!! even after i have went and mounted each iso!!

someone help :(

what is the exact syntax that i need for the pointing to my 3 cds so that i can then install other stuff...

i mounted them like mnt/cd1 mnt/cd2 etc...

i might be missing someothing but it seems that it doesnt save and after i type in the link the thing just locks up and i have to kill it.

Actually,

I think the fact that beta's are beta's isn't disputed.

What seems to be theissue is the Mandrake Install

When it works it works very well but when it doesn't its %^&*

The major problem I see is if users are going to test beta's they need to be able to at least install.

If they started off with a more stable kernel-boot... and noacpi etc. as defaults that might help.

Again and again it seems the same... when it works it works really well and those it worked for can't see what went wrong with someone else.

The problem here is there is some architectures it really screws up on.

The testers with these architectures can't install so they can't test ...

Back in 9.0 I tested the beta's and rc's and posted lots of bugs ...

I also like many thousands of other posted how much i disliked the new RPMDRAKE, from its slowness to the fact its now two seperate programs to add and remove. This really sucks..IMHO (and the opinion of a lot of other testers)

IMHO Mandrake need to make the installer bullet proof, it looks nice enough for now and they should be concentrating on stability under all architectures not just making it look prettier.

Ive no intention of installing the rc this time.

Most of my bugs from 9.0 were ignored and I wasn't the only one reporting them.

Again and again. mdk 9.2 beta and rcx all are BETAS. Really I'm disgusted of such thing. Mandrake Linux Installlation tools are undoubtly the best, but it it's not enough stable as debian linux. Seriously I'm sad, because mandrakesoft does not carefully test its packages. I have talked to lot of people who emphasize that if debian is being shiped with mdk install tools, it would be the world most powerful Linux package, is not it? 

Waiting Your responses. Thank You.

Fahd :cry:

Are you talkin about me? :mystilol:

At least Linux distros have bug testing stages, anybody who uses anything MS is a beta tester!!

James

Hmmmm.

the 2 seperate.

The thing is for me or you its no problem.

90% of the time I use CLI urpmi anyway... but I just made a install for a noobie. In the old one i would have said well deinstall this (if it isn't working) then reinstall and see if it fixes it.

You can also check your deps etc. without the CLI. Now you have to say, "OK choose uninstall (but your not actually going to uninstall) and then click on extended information. now close it and open the installer and install that library. "

Kinda hard to explain to a noobie.

Ive also not worked out what happens with locking the rpm database if you try and open both at once!

:?: Disgusted with betas.......I don't get it....hey, just don't download 9.2-rc2. Yes, it does use the KDE "Pi" version which was something that was a pleasant surprise, although I haven't played around enough with it to see the improvements. I copied the iso's to the hd to do an install and it worked very well. The start up screens are much nicer, and it all seems very stable. The only glich I had was also the wrong driver was selected for my SB-Live card, but a quick visit to the "Hardware" section under the Mandrake Control Center let me put things right quickly and easily. All the other hardware, including my HP-950 printer/copier/scanner/fax was detected properly on install. 9.2 may be a killer release.

Well, took the plung and put it on my laptop, so far so good. One minor problem I'm wondering about. I choose DHCP, booted it up at work and now it has a SUN servers name??? :roll:

I'm thinking unplug before I blow up the world. :wink: Or at the least get into a little trouble :twisted: